89 max breaking up on top of revs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd molchan

Reaction score
I have a 89 vmax with stage 7 kit when I gouged on it tonite it acted like it was breaking up on top I just had the carbs synced and new plugs and rectifier put in this year in may any help would be appreciated thanks guys

I have a 89 vmax with stage 7 kit when I gouged on it tonite it acted like it was breaking up on top I just had the carbs synced and new plugs and rectifier put in this year in may any help would be appreciated thanks guys

In or out of gear? I'm not familiar with gouged.
British English: gouge If you gouge something, you make a hole or a long cut in it, usually with a pointed object. :ummm:
Did you check the plug gap?

Well, the main jet could be too lean, the needle could be too lean, the floats could be too lean... whats your main jet size, wheres the needle set at and what are you floats set at? PAJ2 and afr screw settings would also be helpful. If its ran well in the past for you with your current setup, odds are somethings clogged somewhere in the carbs and a peashooter/shotgun/carb cleaning may be in order. Right now its all conjecture until more info is provided with your setup.

Not sure of plug gap I had all that done at a reputable shop so I didn't see the plugs personally he also synced the carbs the bike has run excellent until last night

Also it was in gear and I was going about 55 60 and rolled into it hard when it does that it stuttered like a plug was fouling out

Sounds like rich main to me. Could be an improperly gapped plug, though that might not show so much. Was it hesitating, then took off or did it just sputter and never recover?

Could be bad plug, or incorrect plug gap. I would check and make sure each secondary plug boot is securely affixed to the plugs. Sounds crazy but I wonder if they didn't put the terminal nuts on one of the spark plugs tops? That is if it has stock or aftermarket plug wires. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it ran fine before the service, I don't see why all of a sudden the bike would be lean or rich...

I'd look into simple things like checking the spark plug wires are fully on, fully inserted in the coils, and the plugs are good.... did they give you the old ones?

Back