I know cobra's have a bad name but really?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. Do you have info or photos on how you removed / blocked the crossover?

I cut the cross over pipe off as close as I could to the main pipe. Then grind main to make it as flat as possible. Then take the long piece of cross over pipe & cut it in half the long way. Take each piece & cut to fit over each hole & weld on paint & good to go. :eusa_dance:

I'm looking to replace my cobras very soon but I've been playing with the idea of connecting the front and rear pipes on my cobras. Has anyone successfully done it? If so did or would it bring it back to at least stock power levels? I have drilled the center of mine out to 3/4in and drilled 6 5/8in holes in the outter ring of each pipe.

I'm looking to replace my cobras very soon but I've been playing with the idea of connecting the front and rear pipes on my cobras. Has anyone successfully done it? If so did or would it bring it back to at least stock power levels? I have drilled the center of mine out to 3/4in and drilled 6 5/8in holes in the outter ring of each pipe.

I would guess it might give you some increase in power, but I suspect it would not fully restore said power.

Had some free time today, so I pulled the front pipes off and started the process of blocking the crossover. I cut it, but did not grind them flat. I'm sure I won't lose that much performance. Besides, the Cobras are my "transportation" pipes. My other pipes will be reinstalled for drag racing.

The covers were made like you said, Dorney... from the crossover pipe. I'll bring them to work tomorrow to weld them on.

Had some free time today, so I pulled the front pipes off and started the process of blocking the crossover. I cut it, but did not grind them flat. I'm sure I won't lose that much performance. Besides, the Cobras are my "transportation" pipes. My other pipes will be reinstalled for drag racing.

The covers were made like you said, Dorney... from the crossover pipe. I'll bring them to work tomorrow to weld them on.

That should do the job. Now I have a question for you how did you get those stub pipes out of the main tubes. I tried with out wrecking them the only thing I didn't try was heat.

How did you get those stub pipes out of the main tubes. I tried with out wrecking them the only thing I didn't try was heat.

Well, they were tight. One side came out relatively easily. The other side... hard to describe. I banged the end (where it bolts to the head) on my wood work bench back and forth until I got enough rotational movement to work it out.

Welded up, and installed. My welding job is VERY embarrassing, so I will not post pictures of that. But it doesn't leak. It's late now, but I started it and it idled well. Not much difference without the crossover. Maybe slightly. If the weather is good, I'll ride it to work and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Well I got my hands on a used set of stock pipes. The previous owner had drilled them, they sound ok. The bike seems to pull harder with them on, maybe rev faster? Besides the fact that it was hard as hell to get them on, I'm happy with them.

I want to dyno it again to see if the difference is real and not just in my head

Back