Sturgis bound? better don that lid.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
If you plan to attend the rally this year be axtra careful, body count was up to 6 (8 if you count natural causes) at lunchtime and today is only the first day, although it has been ramping up for a few days now. I just got off the phone with a friend that was going to check it out, he turned around and came back after almost getting hit twice between Sturgis and Rapid by other "bikers". He said bike parked until after the rally and its "totally unsafe by any standards".

I mentioned this in the ride thread last month but after what I heard today I felt compelled to put it here incase anyone is headed in. Be safe.

I'd rather be almost anywhere else on Earth rather than Sturgis. Too many wannabe Sons Of Anarchy types for me...

I'd rather be almost anywhere else on Earth rather than Sturgis. Too many wannabe Sons Of Anarchy types for me...

That has been a problem since before SOA existed, I think the degradation was apparent in the late 80s. SOA and the chopper build dramas on TV exacerbated the problem, now its just dangerous. I think im the only nurse in SD that flat out refused to work rally wweek I refuse to fix stupid and thats why im in geriatrics now. You cant embrace natural selection and work in an ER.

I just hope that none of us get tangled up in someone else's web of poserdom. it sucks, Sturgis it used to be a really good time.

True on all points, Casey. The real MC members got better things to do than start trouble with the weekend warriors that frequent these events. Problem with the wannabes is they don't have enough common sense to differentiate a TV show glorified lifestyle with real life. That's why I NEVER refer to myself as a "Biker"... (and respectfully correct those that refer to me that way..).

I am NOT a biker, the very word burns my ears, motorcyclist works fine though. Im with you on this!

Sturgis is now full of motorcycle owners, not to be confused with motorcyclists. There are a few old schoolers that really ride and have the state of mind that pulled me in as a youngster, hats off to them but they are a serious minority anymore. Trailers, RVs, chase vehicles, my how times have changed. The counter culture is pretty much gone, now pop culture stands in its place. :confused2:

Im sorry you didnt get to experience it in its hayday, I was very young and it was great fun. 83 or 84 was my first year. I snuck (underage) into the chip and drank with ppl that rode the same way I did. By the time I was old enough to drink I could see some change. More elitists and yuppies startedd showing up and the rest is Hx. I can only imagine how awesome it was years before, heard plenty but missed it. When I killed my CB350 I found a 69 Bonnie that fit much better, no ribbing over jap bikes. That bike could put most HDs in the rear view, besides Triumph was always a respectable marque. My last year after a long break 03, I left with a really heavy heart, it sucked. Now most of these assholes pipe them in and have no clue how to really ride a bike, nor did they seem to have the inclination, Its that afore mentioned state of mind that you cannot buy. Its more commercialized than Christmas, almost a family event. Now It has become so huge the only way to avoid it is to stay at my cabin or leave the area. Sorry about the rant, its been hard to see it end up like this. Im only in my 40s and Grateful Dead is one of my favorite bands haha. I would never own another HD and I keep the greatest possible distance from the contemporary "biker" culture. I was born just in time to get a glimpse of a different time. I had a lot of fun for a short time but I had to change with the times. Now I proudly rock a Vmax and love it. Once again Im more counterculture than mainstream, which kept me on Triumphs for so long, Life is good my friends.

Back