Spark Plug Wire Set Option

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
What do y'all think of these?
Accel Extreme Heat.
$45 on Ebay.

$T2eC16Z,!yoFIfFDu,PKBSOYpE6kkw~~_32.JPG

I'd just by some 7mm copper core Ignition wire by the foot (about $1-2 per foot) and re-use the stock caps or get 4 NGK SB05F caps (about $3 each).
The stock setup works well and I have never seen or heard of anyone actually showing that the Accell (or Nology or any other aftermarket) 8mm wire and caps work any better on our Bikes.

I'd just by some 7mm copper core Ignition wire by the foot (about $1-2 per foot) and re-use the stock caps or get 4 NGK SB05F caps (about $3 each). The stock setup works well and I have never seen or heard of anyone actually showing that the Accell (or Nology or any other aftermarket) 8mm wire and caps work any better on our Bikes.

I did some research and read that the stock V-Max plug boots had insulation problems where some shorted to the head. I'm just looking at some basic maintenance. My bike has been "popping" out the exhaust again. But it only happens a few times per week... not consistently. The carbs were recently cleaned and synchronized at a shop.

Would 8mm wires even fit into our coils?

The 8mm wires will fit but you have to really work them in there.
Personally I never had any issues with the Stock Boots on my 2000.
They have about 30,000 miles on them and are the originals and still look great.
I did replace the wires with 7mm copper core wires once and I think it cost me $5 or $6 dollars.
I put COPs on a few years ago so now the Boots and wires are on a shelf as a back up just in case I ever need them.

Just make up a set of COPS... I did mine for less than $25.00.. You'll be glad you did..

try'm i run 8mm accel's . With the accel ends.
they work great ,haven't had any problems.
instead of shaving the wire. I opened up the hole in the coil caps.
not much,just enough to make the 8mm fit like the 7mm did.

Cops are well worth it- the difference in performance is worth it. I've been through 8mm wires with stock coils and after spending $18 on the cops and $6 on the wiring
connectors it seems a waste of money to do it any other way.

I have COPS from Garrett, don't get suckered into paying $$$ for cheap wire. Your local auto parts house can supply you w/wire by the foot, and any decent bike shop can order the caps or you can order them online, you don't need OEM Yamaha.

I've had great performance from my NGK silicone set.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 10.44.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 10.44.47 PM.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 86
I always laughed at the audiophile ads for "CU-pure" speaker wires. They always resorted to oscilloscopes and PhD electrical engineers' reports to show how the audio sound was 'improved' by purchasing $$$ special wires, when lamp zip-cord would work just as well. I do have Monster cables and wires though, so I guess I'm as guilty as anyone. The marketing for these things is persuasive, but just go the cheap shot and use some dielectric grease for connections.

The Nology stuff is good quality, but is it worth the price? Not to to my wallet.

Cops are well worth it- the difference in performance is worth it. I've been through 8mm wires with stock coils and after spending $18 on the cops and $6 on the wiring
connectors it seems a waste of money to do it any other way.

Exactly how much performance gain did you see, and by what method(s) did you acquire the data please? And when achieving these gains, was changing from OEM wires, caps & coils to the COPS the only change you made when doing your comparision(s)?

It's all about the look remember that. I chose the RED colour caps and wires to place accent colour on my 06. The red ghost flames on the faux tank and redline black rims looks great.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 51
Exactly how much performance gain did you see, and by what method(s) did you acquire the data please? And when achieving these gains, was changing from OEM wires, caps & coils to the COPS the only change you made when doing your comparision(s)?

The data would be the seat of my pants and the difference in the "pull" i feel now-I read an article bill seward wrote and duplicated exactly what he did. I as he too did not worry about resistors.
I bought 2002 gsxr cops and the wires from 1999 r6 after looking closely at the plug ends. I left my oem coils in place and made ends that fit the plugs from the stock coils.
A few days before i bought 8mm wires and ran them to the stock coils. Not a big difference at all.
So i installed the cops and a set of ngk iridium platinum plugs gapped at 27. BIG difference.

The data would be the seat of my pants and the difference in the "pull" i feel now-I read an article bill seward wrote and duplicated exactly what he did. I as he too did not worry about resistors.
I bought 2002 gsxr cops and the wires from 1999 r6 after looking closely at the plug ends. I left my oem coils in place and made ends that fit the plugs from the stock coils.
A few days before i bought 8mm wires and ran them to the stock coils. Not a big difference at all.
So i installed the cops and a set of ngk iridium platinum plugs gapped at 27. BIG difference.

Thanks - I thought that would be the case.

I use the stock NGK DPR8EA-9 ($2.50 each) and change them every 3 years or so.
I honestly don't think the Iridiums are worth the extra cost.

Back