Question: Filling up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
I've noticed that when I fill up to the lip, of the neck of the fuel tank, a couple seconds later the fuel will go down. I'll fill it back up, and the process repeats.

Where does the fuel go? I would assume it would go out the vent tube, but never have I found spilled fuel.

^^^This, this is what I needed to know.

Well it doesn't burp air, just slowly settles. I was always under the impression that if I kept doing it, it would begin to run out of the vent tube. So there comes a point where the fuel will come out the filler neck before it comes out the vent tube?

^^^This, this is what I needed to know.

Well it doesn't burp air, just slowly settles. I was always under the impression that if I kept doing it, it would begin to run out of the vent tube. So there comes a point where the fuel will come out the filler neck before it comes out the vent tube?
Yes.
It will fill up until it overflows before it ever comes out the vent tube.
I have never seen gas come out of my vent tube but it has come out of my over flow tube a few times when I wasn't careful.

Shake that vmax. That' one of The secrets to long milage from a tank.

+1. Fill to the bottom of the neck. Shake the bike. Repeat a few times. Not sure why it does this but you can get the fuel level to go down a few times by shaking the bike.

Yup, air pocket seems to be escaping from the right top side of the tank. I'm guessing everyone is using the side stand when they fill.

I'll trying a new technique out tonight. That of straddling the driver seat backwards and holding the max upright when I fill it with petrol. heh

Due to this useful piece of information, I'm am now filling up with the bike on the center stand.

Gen2 does the same damn thing. It's a PITA.

Nothing more annoying than pulling out of the station and the gauge reads 1 click off of full. Especially with the mileage the bike gets.

Due to this useful piece of information, I'm am now filling up with the bike on the center stand.

You're addicted. Another maxaholic.
biglaugh.gif

I always have filled up on center stand with all my bikes.The last time I rode my max it was 2 up with my wife and I am 250 lb.When we got home I had 117 miles since my fill up and the fuel light was still not on!I am sure I am only a few miles from it coming on though.

+1. Fill to the bottom of the neck. Shake the bike. Repeat a few times. Not sure why it does this but you can get the fuel level to go down a few times by shaking the bike.
I believe since the vent tube is so small is why its so slow, the shaking helps by opening the neck enough to let out a burp of air. I fill on side stand and do the Vmax bump dance to get all the go juice in possible.

Latest posts

Back