Carb diaphrams shrink?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragmaxster

Reaction score
Anyone have any tricks of the trade as to how to get the diaphramsto stay:bang head: in their grooves?
Only 2 hands and i have tried stretching but have only 1 in place. No suction on the other 3.

I wonder if you could soak them in gas to get them to expand?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that DMAN used wd-40 but i think that shrinks them.
They do stretch on their own a little but return to quick.
Flat thin piece of metal and slide it out with the pressure from the cap maybe?

On the old brit cars I was so fond of i used a touch of Vaseline to keep them still and in the lip, same for other internal carb gaskets i knew I would be removing several times and for the slides i use a drop of slick50 lube from a pump can. I never use aerosol because I was shown to never overspray onto the diaphragm by a friend that wrenched E type cars for years. On my last MG the spring pushed the diaphragm in and held the edges away from the lip so I used a graduated wooden dowel down the barrel to hold the slide against spring pressure, this took a lot of the fight out of it. I also found it much easier in warm weather so if its cold out a hair dryer on the carb and diaphragm may help. It was 80 out when I did the vmax and it went right together.

If your out on the road and have to do it, fanning out your feeler gauges will work in place of a spatula. Dont ask haha, there is a reason I drive Jap cars now!

I drench them in WD-40 after I clean them in warm water using the ultrasonic cleaner. I think it makes them more flexible, and they stay in the groove long enough to put the covers on. I slide the cover around while keeping pressure on it to make sure the lip is still in the grove. Then insert the screws & tighten them in an x pattern.
They do stretch well, when pliable.
Steve-o

I drench them in WD-40 after I clean them in warm water using the ultrasonic cleaner. I think it makes them more flexible, and they stay in the groove long enough to put the covers on. I slide the cover around while keeping pressure on it to make sure the lip is still in the grove. Then insert the screws & tighten them in an x pattern.
They do stretch well, when pliable.
Steve-o

I was looking forward to this one.

I was looking forward to this one.
Always glad to please.
biglaugh.gif

I could hear (lesson learned almost 30 years ago) after tightning the top 4 cap bolts i always push the side up to hear the vacuum and i could not on 3 of these. There were grooves in the slides where someone had just inserted them and tightend the cap down leavind a groove where it should not have been.
So after reading all the wonderful input i heated them briefly with a blowdryer and used a spatula to hold them into place and it worked like a charm.
Guys i really appreciate the input. I luv the one with the feeler gauge i have to say!!!:clapping:

I saw on YouTube were they said to use Silicone Spray. It said that a lot of times they will shrink a little. I sprayed them up good & worked it in with my fingers. left them sit awhile & they when right in.

I saw on YouTube were they said to use Silicone Spray. It said that a lot of times they will shrink a little. I sprayed them up good & worked it in with my fingers. left them sit awhile & they when right in.
I appreciate the advice.

I had some shrink on me after sitting on the bench for awhile. I stole some Tupperware from my wife and put the diaphragms in, rubber side down. I filled the box with enough gas to immerse the rubber and let it soak overnight. Installed the slides after the soak with no problems

Im OCD and carry feeeler gauges around. I used to drive FIAT, MG, Jaguar and ride HD. My tool pouch is probably way overkill for riding a Yamaha, glad you got it sorted out.

Latest posts

Back