Sudden Stalling

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trondyne

Reaction score
Well, I was out today on the bike and for the first time she just died... It happened twice, I noticed before that a kind of brief miss as if the ignition stopped working every so often but only for a half a second while idling but not long enough to stall the engine, it became more of a miss, like a heart skipping a beat... and then back to running...

But then she died twice while idling at lights... She was idling and then just flat shut off.... She restarted no problem and I kept the revs up slightly and she stayed running until I parked ...

Once ready to return home she started and I noticed that my fuel switch was on RESERVE... even though the tank was just filled last night... I switched it to ON and started home... After that I didn't have any problems again and got home ok..

Is there any reason running on reserve would cause that?

Anyone else experience something like this?

I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere...

Nevermind. I missed the part where you said it was fine after you went back to normal.
My bad.
You would think that it doesn't make a difference. It doesn't on my KTM EXC 400.

How long has the bike been sitting?

How does the tank look inside?

Have you inspected the fuel filter and lines?

Have you tried doing the shotgun/peashooter to clear out any clogs in the car air circuits?

My 88 had similar issues while reviving. Turned put after a complete carb teardown and rebuild that the diaphragm for coasting enrichener was practically melted. Rebuilt the carbs with new diaphragm and she's been running great.

How long has the bike been sitting?

How does the tank look inside?

Have you inspected the fuel filter and lines?

Have you tried doing the shotgun/peashooter to clear out any clogs in the car air circuits?

My 88 had similar issues while reviving. Turned put after a complete carb teardown and rebuild that the diaphragm for coasting enrichener was practically melted. Rebuilt the carbs with new diaphragm and she's been running great.

No, I haven't had a chance yet, but you're right it need's to be done....

This was just out of left field for me because I had taken her out several times already with no issues and then suddenly this happened...

Thanks for the suggestions....

Assuming that the cabs are balanced, the idle jets aren't blocked and set correctly and the plugs are firing then it should idle quite happily at 1K or even lower.

The function of the reserve relay is to cut the power to the fuel pump at a pre-set point. All switching to reserve does is to reinstate power to the pump.

If it was a fuel related issue than it wouldn't matter if the switch is on reserve or not.

Try running on reserve again and see if the fault re-occurs.
If it does then I would be looking at the relay and/ or associated wiring to establish the cause.

Latest posts

Back