best tire and size for stock rims

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys. I've read this whole thread and there is just casual mention of some guys putting a radial on the front and liking it. WHO has ACTUALLY DONE THIS and likes it ?? I need a new front tire and want to put a radial on it. I will be putting a radial on the rear when I change to an 18 " rim but in the mean time, I want to run a radial on the front and bias on the rear. running met 880's now.

Many guys have done the radial in the front, but I wouldn't put one on until I was ready to go to radial front and rear. The mix of bias ply and radial will give some pretty squirmy handling. Just search for what Fire-Medic posts about this.

Anyone try the pirelli night dragon? 170/80-15?

I put the Pirelli night dragon on mine this past season and love it so far, only 3000km on the tire but I l am loving the handling and wear of it so far. I have the sport dragon on the front and the combination seems to be working really well. Let me get another season with them under me and I can give a much better review about them.

I know about all the warnings, but they all seem to come from people who have not done this. I am looking for someone who HAS put a radial on the front with a bias on the rear and how they like it.

I read it on here. Somebody did it and posted how the sidewall deflection difference between front and rear makes funny things happen in corners.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

By the way, I have a brand new set of Bridgestones in the stock sizes on the bike now and they seem to handle well except for when I am on an uneven road surface or a ground up Oklahoma highway with even the slightest bit of groovyness to it. Doesn't really matter what speed I'm going, it gets a wonder/wobble and is very uncomfortable. Not sure if this condition could be attributed to the brand of tire, the size, or just the fact that they are bias ply tires. By the way, 150's on the rear and 110/90-18 on the front.

Are your tires Exedras?

Ok, best tire size as far as fitment on the rims on the V-max would be the stock size.

That being said, I have found that if you desire snappier handling, going up one size on the front to a 120 will pinch the tire in, creating a more rounded profile that seems to make the bike much easier to lean into the corners.

I personally went with 120/90-18 and 170/80-15 Avon Venoms, and i love them so far.

I love the Avon Venoms I have on my 93 now, but was considering going up to a 170 on the rear. Is this a safe bet, as far as clearance? I see a few guys have done this. Anyone have any problems?

Ive done a shinko 170 and it fit with no issues, but some people on here with another brand had some clearance issues solved by doing the "washer swap", after that everything fit.

I love the Avon Venoms I have on my 93 now, but was considering going up to a 170 on the rear. Is this a safe bet, as far as clearance? I see a few guys have done this. Anyone have any problems?

Clearance with the 170/80 on the back is tighter than a nun's cunt, but it fit with no need to do the washer swap.

10410227_10203213608556386_7660703805621571144_n.jpg

Realise I don't have the same handling issues, sidecar(hack) attached, and almost upright is the order of the day. So, what of the choices on the rear is the best wearing ?
Metzler on a standard rim looks promising.

For info, not dismissed going darkside, but unsure about the 15" rim issues often warned against.

Hell if it's a sidecar, you might as-well go to the "Dark Side." No lean involved and a car tire will last longer than a bike tire, cheaper, and easier to get.

Realise I don't have the same handling issues, sidecar(hack) attached, and almost upright is the order of the day. So, what of the choices on the rear is the best wearing ?
Metzler on a standard rim looks promising.

For info, not dismissed going darkside, but unsure about the 15" rim issues often warned against.

I'm gonna need new shoes for my bike...I have Metzler 880s now(I ran Metzlers on my Suzuki RF900 as well), but I am seriously contemplating Michelin Commander IIs, 110/90-18 front and 170/80-15 rear....what do you guys think??

I love my Avon Vemoms.. but starting to dream about radials, 3" ext notched swingarm, and a hair wider rear rim.. I love the stock looking ones, I hate to spend tons of $$$. Still wondering where to get more money without getting a second job....

:eusa_dance: Got a new pair of shoes for my scooter....$270.00 out the door for Michelin Commander IIs....now I'll have to do a couple of smoky burnouts to really use up whats left of my back tire.....

How do you like your new Michelin Commander II tires ? Did you go with 170/80/15 for the rear tire ? Any clearance issue ? Thanks.

How do you like your new Michelin Commander II tires ? Did you go with 170/80/15 for the rear tire ? Any clearance issue ? Thanks.

I love them!! My bike feels really flickable with the Michelins, compared to the old Metzler Marathons. I did go with the 170/80-15 rear and did not have any clearance issues whatsoever...

Latest posts

Back