radial pressure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethrobolas

Reaction score
I have radials on 17s. Is 35 front, 39 rear psi still correct? Any need to deviate from factory recommendations with radials?

I don't know what's correct but I've always run about 36 front, 38 rear with my radials...
130/??-18 front and 200/55-18 rear.

Avon touring front and Avon Venom rear.

Last edited:
I've been running 36 front/ 38 rear....I know they are rated up to 42 PSI for both....I just installed the Shinko Verge 2X 016....great tires and run great at that pressure.

The sidewall rating on tires is max pressure at max load. Usually our load is about 1/2-2/3 max load.
Tires on my truck are rated 42 as well, I run them at 36.......have found I get most even wear at that number. (They're 305/65-18's) I think they're load rated at around 2600 each. My whole truck only weighs about 5800-6000 with test equipment, office equipment and tools etc....curb wieght is 5000

I do realize most of us, me included, could give two shits about wear on motorcycle tires though, I'm gonna run the number I think handles and sticks best.

Yeah, thinking about changing it a few psi lower in the rear. Back feels kind of rough over some bumps and tends to slide out a bit more than I like under aggressive throttle on turns. Just worried about pinch flats on square edge bumps. 5 psi shouldn't make much difference as far as flats go.
I know on dirt bikes 11 psi sticks like glue, but bump it up to 15 psi and it feels like the ass end is on ice. Depends on the tire as well....different sidewall stiffness and whatnot.
Now I just need to figure out how I can lighten up the rims without affecting strength or appearance. I have the UFO smoothies. Basically a solid chunk of aluminum about an inch thick like "fat boy" rims. Heavy as hell. Look sharp, but just too much unsprung weight!

Yeah, thinking about changing it a few psi lower in the rear. Back feels kind of rough over some bumps and tends to slide out a bit more than I like under aggressive throttle on turns. Just worried about pinch flats on square edge bumps.

Never heard of anyone getting a pinch flat on a tubeless tire.

I currently run;

Shinko rear 190/50 ZR17 at 42 psi. Anything less gives me very unsettling high speed deceleration oscillations (front end wobble).

Michellin front 120/70 ZR17 at 42 psi. Anything less causes very uneven wear.

Not a stock bike but it is worth experimenting with your tyre pressures (safely) to get the best overall combination of ride, handling and value.

HINT: Look at all the information on the tyre side wall. Some tyres specify a Minimum inflation pressure which does not conform to the V-max specs.

Tyres changed a lot during the V-max's production run.

Latest posts

Back