Glamor Shots

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMaxx

Reaction score
There were a lot of weekend hours over the winter, but I basically took half the bike apart and painted both wheels, both fenders, the handle bar clamps, bled the brakes, rebuilt the clutch master, swapped out the gas tank. Installed new superbike bar and Iso grips.
Got it back on the road for another 6 months. Hopefully rebuild the carbs and do a proper tune next winter.

That's a sweet looking bike! How do you like those grips? I recently purchased a set and I'm hesitant to install them because the diameter is much bigger that what I'm currently running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliments!
I love the superbike bar / Iso grips combo. The bike came with a drag bar and the stock grips. I'm a fairly big guy (6'1" 240lbs) so my hands would get sore by having more forward weight on the drag bar all the time. Low speed steering is way easier with the wider superbike bar and the Iso grips fit my hands perfectly and the squishyness off them helps kill some vibrations. The only negative reviews on those grips I've seen are from people complaining about the bulkiness. If you wear a large or X-large glove then you'll probably love them.

Weekend update - Did a shotgun cleaning....definitely seemed to smooth things out. Looked like there was a bit of carbon / sludge in there that got blasted out. Low rpm/idle is a lot better.
Being a Canadian bike, I was expecting to find adjustable needles, but they look like the stock non-adjustable US needles...kind of odd.

Took the bike out for a ride after doing the shotgun cleaning. Seems to have messed with the low end mixture now that it's breathing properly. It idles pretty good, but once it got warm then 2000-3000rpm was all boggy and sluggish. Once it got over that then it was fine. That means it was too rich right? Mixture screws were at 3 turns.

Took the bike out for a ride after doing the shotgun cleaning. Seems to have messed with the low end mixture now that it's breathing properly. It idles pretty good, but once it got warm then 2000-3000rpm was all boggy and sluggish. Once it got over that then it was fine. That means it was too rich right? Mixture screws were at 3 turns.
Check the spark plugs. Also the canadian needles did have 5 slots-you are right.You could probably benefit with a set of cops.

Yeah I'm going to run it a couple days and check the plugs. They're only a week old, so all of my recent adjustments should give an accurate representation of what's going on. I have a feeling the floats will need adjusting too. The whole ignition system seems good. There's some aftermarket Dyna coils on it which look pretty new.

There were a lot of weekend hours over the winter, but I basically took half the bike apart and painted both wheels, both fenders, the handle bar clamps, bled the brakes, rebuilt the clutch master, swapped out the gas tank. Installed new superbike bar and Iso grips.
Got it back on the road for another 6 months. Hopefully rebuild the carbs and do a proper tune next winter.

You know I just bought a 2015 Gen 2, it's a very nice Vmax with great extras. Unfortunately the previous is a irresponsible man child.

That said I made some mistakes as well but in the end everything will be aright. I have a special spot in my heart for the Gen 1 Vmax, I owned 7 and although I am excited to learn more about my Gen 2 but I will always have a craving for another Gen 1. Maybe someday I will own both time will tell. Yours look nice!!! your long hours of work have paid off

Last edited:
Back