woulld like to get some advice on a com system for my helmet

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I bought a Sena SMH-A0304 Helmet Clamp Kit for Earbuds with Boom and Wired Microphones for SMH10 Bluetooth Headset. when I was looking at this the one I thought I was buying has speakers that would fit into the speaker cut outs in my helmet.

When I got it today I realized that I just bought the clamp kit, so what I was looking at with the speakers I didn't buy I bought this kit instead.

All I wanted from this was to be able to communicate with my cell phone and maybe listen to some music so I didn't want to go all out when it comes to a price or go overboard buying something that I don't need.

I would appreciate any and all advice anyone can give me as to what I need now with what I just bought to allow myself to do what I said I wanted to be able to do at the top of this post.

I have a Scala G9X that my wife got for me a few years ago. Clamps onto pretty much any helmet and has two speakers to run to the speaker pockets. Music quality is decent, but calls and navigation ques are perfect. I've been thinking of swapping out the speakers for a different set to get more bass since the existing ones are a little "tinny" for lack of a better term.

I was looking for the same and from what I've found pretty sure the Sena SMH-10 would be it.

Do you need anything else to mount it to your helmet or is that everything you need besides your cell phone of course

Nope: just patients to rout the wiring.
I paired up with a a riding buddy of mine BT helmet. his was from a different manufacturer, and it was built into his helmet.. While testing for distance, we had nice stable coms, almost 1/2 mile apart while riding in the mountains of NY state.

Only thing is, in the mountains up there, the FM signal is weak. No FM reception at all in the helmet. This is not surprising since the car radio over there, is not the best either, and the car has a large external antenna.

Nope: just patients to rout the wiring.
I paired up with a a riding buddy of mine BT helmet. his was from a different manufacturer, and it was built into his helmet.. While testing for distance, we had nice stable coms, almost 1/2 mile apart while riding in the mountains of NY state.

Only thing is, in the mountains up there, the FM signal is weak. No FM reception at all in the helmet. This is not surprising since the car radio over there, is not the best either, and the car has a large external antenna.

I'm not interested in communication with riding buddies, not many in my area that ride Vmax's I'm a lot older than all the kids who ride crotch rockets. So I am wanting it to connect to my phone. I ordered one from Amazon.com .

I returned the helmet kit and bought the Buyee® Bt Interphone Bluetooth Motorbike Motorcycle Helmet Intercom Headset 800m Rider to Pillion Do I need anything to mount this unit on my helmet?? I hope not cause it didn't sound like you had anything besides the com unit ..

I use a BlueAnt interphone F4 and it rules. Decent music quality, solid call quality, and if I need to it will pair with other bluetooth headsets for when I'm riding with my sport bike friends.

I'm going to try the Sena 20s and add a Sena Prism for video. I thought about a 10c which is a camera/ Bluetooth communicator all in one but this is it's first year on the market and will wait to see if they improve it in succeeding upgrades.

You don't need any tools, if that's what your referring too. It comes with some basic stuff.
Be aware, the 1st time you mount it, it will be tough to get on the helmet. I had to loosen up the screws on the mounting plate, then re-tighten, once in position.
At 1st I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, but then I thought about it.. It should be difficult to get mounted, just as it should be difficult to come off.

I'm going to try the Sena 20s and add a Sena Prism for video. I thought about a 10c which is a camera/ Bluetooth communicator all in one but this is it's first year on the market and will wait to see if they improve it in succeeding upgrades.

I wanted video and phone bluetooth, so I purchased the Sena 10c, and love it. I've taken a few vids (1080p is good enough for me), answered some calls, listened to some Pandora, and even taken a few still pics with it. It's really great to be able to snap a pic when you find something interesting but you're on the fly. I also bought the handlebar control so I don't have to reach up to my helmet while riding.

It's been almost 5 months, and my only problem has been remembering how to answer the phone and turn on music while riding. The handlebar remote fixed those issues.

Another problem that's not a product issue is that I can't talk while riding due to my Kerker's comp baffle. People can hear me fine thanks to the noise canceling abilities, but I can't hear people over the exhaust when riding. I pull over and the idle is (Barely) quiet enough to have a brief conversation.

Those look nice, how do they work at speed, like 70+? it would be great to be able to bring my FLAC library on the long rides. I dont even need a mic or FM tuner, a sweet set of blutooth headphones that really work would be amazing though.

I had a chatterbox years ago. Bulky and expensive, not useful at highway speeds and the cords were a nuisance. It wasnt what I expected at all so I abandoned it after the first trip. I would also love to know what your real world battery life is like on these if you've had a chance to run it down. This is the first I've heard of Sena.

Depends on what you do, I've gotten 4 hours of playing music/phone conversation, still about half battery left. If you have a comp baffle Kerker or a UFO, you won't be able to hear things so well at higher speeds or during hard acceleration, but with a stock or near stock volume exhaust it's great. I have paired to a bud's Sena, I was able to be half a block away and we still could hear each other.

Inside the helmet, the speakers are pretty good. Not as much bass as a good set of headphones, but better overall sound quality than the Beats headphones I've heard.

If you can swing an extra $80-ish get the handlebar remote. Once you figure it out, it makes it even easier to answer calls, change songs, etc...

The video is 1080p, and you can get quite a bit of time on a 16gb micro-SD card. I have two that I swap out, so I never wind up without when riding. I record every ride, and delete the commutes and rides where nothing happened. If someone causes me to go down, I can just aim my gaze at the license and let the law deal with them.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with the 10C or it's performance. It's certainly been worth the money for me, I highly recommend Sena. Video or no.

That sounds good, I have the Kerker with small baffle, still fairly loud. The headphones look great and I have space for a remote, not much of a phone guy so aside from intermittent music it wont see much use so if 4 hours and still going it should be great for me. I have a touring windscreen for long rides so that might make it easier to hear.

Thanks for the info, I may go ahead and give these a shot, it looks like what I was hoping for with the chatterbox. Oddly they are cheaper to. Win/win

Back