My first Vmax, will not run.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Reserve has never worked?'
That sounds like a wire isn't landed where it should be or is an open circuit of another sort, either way, frustrating. I guess as long as you have access to the gas supply in the 'reserve,' it doesn't really matter, but it's a good feeling to have it his reserve, and to know you have about 25 mies to go onto fumes.
I don't have access to the gas supply there. I have been researching to find it and nothing so far.

I took it apart and cleaned it but it didn't looked like it needed it. It has never worked on reserve.I hope I didn't hijack hairballs thread- I think he resolved his problem didn't he? And I'm trying to stay on subject.

I can't imagine going thru life with a name like "Hairball".....but I digress...
Anyway, I checked out the Clymer wiring diagrams. Looks like no changes over the model years. I've never had a problem with fuel delivery, so I've never paid too much attention to it.
First thing, the "On" position of the Fuel Reserve Switch is just for show. There are no electrical contacts which join when the switch is in this position. Instead, power is applied to the fuel pump, via the Fuel Pump Relay, as soon as the Engine Stop switch is activated. This is why you won't hear the pump going thru it's filling cycle, until the switch is set to "Run".
When the fuel in the tank dips below the level of the Fuel Sender, power is supplied to the Fuel Level bulb, and at the same time, power is cut to the fuel pump via the Fuel Pump Relay.
Switching the Fuel Reserve Switch to "Res." restores power to the fuel pump, via the fuel pump relay, and the pump will run to use the fuel in the tank below the level of the sender.
In your case, Blax, seeing that you have never had a functioning reserve, you first have to make sure that you have battery voltage at the red/white (upstream) power wire, going into the Fuel Reserve Switch, with the ignition "On" and the Engine stop Switch set to "Run".
Then, although you have checked the contacts, you should read battery voltage at the red/green (downstream) terminal when the switch has been set to "Res".
This red/green wire is the one that supplies power to the Fuel Pump Relay, to once again activate the fuel pump.
If you have power at the red/green going into the relay, but still no fuel pump activation, the problem would be in the relay itself, or the 6-pin connector.
Disconnect it, clean the contacts, re-assemble using di-electric grease.
Cheers!

No worries bout hijacking blaxmax, Any discussion about the reserve operation is welcome.
I need a reserve and you guys are sending me in the right direction.

BTW.. someday I will explain Hairball in the lounge. It is not a cat thing.

I had a slight delay going to get fuel.

I took off to run to the gas station, and I noticed the neighbor was working on his house so I pulled into his driveway for a chat. When I went to leave, I turned the key and nothing happened. I guess the max wanted me to push her again. This time it was only 30 yards.

Checked the fuses including the main. All were OK. Hey! There's a spare. I love Yamaha!
Voltmeter across battery 12.75 or so, ignition on nada. Hmmmm bad batry(this is Canadian for battery). Ordered a new gel cell, came and went in today.

Rode to gas station, bought gas, went out on some curvey roads, caught some freeway. Bike is running great!

In the interm before today, I removed and cleaned the ignition switch. I also removed the low fuel light and found it OK. Unfortunately I did not clean the contacts in the socket. That might be my reserve malfunction right there.

I have now found the factory schematics. I will sort this bike out.
Thank for your responses, your help was huge.

I had a slight delay going to get fuel.

I took off to run to the gas station, and I noticed the neighbor was working on his house so I pulled into his driveway for a chat. When I went to leave, I turned the key and nothing happened. I guess the max wanted me to push her again. This time it was only 30 yards.

Checked the fuses including the main. All were OK. Hey! There's a spare. I love Yamaha!
Voltmeter across battery 12.75 or so, ignition on nada. Hmmmm bad batry(this is Canadian for battery). Ordered a new gel cell, came and went in today.

Rode to gas station, bought gas, went out on some curvey roads, caught some freeway. Bike is running great!

In the interm before today, I removed and cleaned the ignition switch. I also removed the low fuel light and found it OK. Unfortunately I did not clean the contacts in the socket. That might be my reserve malfunction right there.

I have now found the factory schematics. I will sort this bike out.
Thank for your responses, your help was huge.
Good news, I've found a lot of the time a new battery will solve a lot of headaches- keep us posted on the reserve switch please. thanks

I took a couple long rides over the weekend. I bought a one gallon jerry can and strapped it to the seat. I went 97 miles without running out. I looked into the tank with the flashlight sawgas enough for fumes. I am pretty confident the issue is the reserve sensor or circuit. (well, DUH) For now, I'll just buy fuel every 80 miles

I think the fuel vent issue it OK now. Now I know where to look.
Thanks for the help. When I am ready to swap the sensor, "search" is my friend.

Rick

Check the fuel reserve bulb. If out the system doesn't work. You should see it light up when you push the start button (along with the oil light). The sensors in the tank can and do fail which will not let the whole thing work as well.

I had pulled the bulb and checked continuity. I even pulled it a second time to clean the socket. I did your simple ignition test this morning. Yep, light works. Good tip, thanks.

Rick

My light does not work when I hit the starter button.Do I have to replace the sensor in the tank?

Does the oil light come on when pushing the start button? They are both supposed to light during cranking as a self test. If it's not working then it would normally be just the bulb (or socket/wiring).

Does the oil light come on when pushing the start button? They are both supposed to light during cranking as a self test. If it's not working then it would normally be just the bulb (or socket/wiring).
Yes the oil light does come on when cranking. All the lights except the fuel. Reserve has never worked.

Yea, probably bad bulb or socket. It's most likely the bulb but swap the oil bulb with the reserve bulb to verify it (the bulbs are the same).

If the bulb is burnt out it will not complete the ground circuit and that will not let the reserve work. SO, YES, if your bulb is burnt out.

If the bulb is burnt out it will not complete the ground circuit and that will not let the reserve work. SO, YES, if your bulb is burnt out.
Bulb is good as I changed it with the oil light- Does not light up.
Now am I following my green wire to the fuel level sensor?

Latest posts

Back