gauge cluster wiring?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImCannibal

Reaction score
It's there an alternate location to splice into the gauge cluster lighting? I installed an aftermarket speedo with leds for turn/hi-beam/oil/neutral and I'm trying to find somewhere other than the back of the original gauge cluster to tie into those since the wiring is so tight and a pain in the backside to access there.

Depends if you need a ground activated light or positive activated light? You could get the turn and hi beam from the headlight bucket. The oil and neutral will have to come from either the gauge cluster or you can get the sensor connection under the left side cover (they complete the ground circuit to illuminate the OEM light).

Sean, do you have a picture of those wires under the left side cover? Are they the same color as behind the gauge cluster?

Varies a little by year but you're looking for the pair of bullet connectors (the only ones down there). The neutral sensor wire will be a light blue color. The oil light will be a white wire.

Easiest would be to replace the wires in the two multi-blocks in the loom that normally provides these circuits. See attached PDF.
Note that it says 4.2 ohm resistors but I think it should be 43 ohm. Measure the resistance of the bulb to confirm

Attachments

• RX2n fitting.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 24
Thank you Sean.
Max, I'm not sure that diagram helps me even a little bit.

You asked the easiest place to pick up the wires and I suggested where, IMHO, is the easiest place in my reply - the attachment relates to the multi-blocks I referred to.
I have highlighted them in red below.

picture.php

Max, where are those blocks on the bike? I'm not going to start pulling stuff apart to get at a potentially non-useful solution.

About 6 - 8 inches away from the warning cluster. Typically it's routed through openings in the frame and over to the left side neck cover area.

Okay, now that I've somewhat pulled my head out of my arse, on the wiring diagram it doesn't specify if the brown wire is a positive or negative lead. I ordered some nice connectors to splice into the harness but I'm unsure if the brown is pos/neg, any of you pros know?

Brown is positive.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Killer, thanks guys. I'm going to try simplifying the wiring on my new speedo, and since all those lights are ground actuated this SHOULD be easy (watch me mess it up haha)

Latest posts

Back