bleeding the clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91zconvert

Reaction score
:bang head:I have an 86 vmax and I was told my clutch needs to be bleed.has anyone ever heard of this?the guy who was supposed to help me is always never there.so please can some one give me some help before I get pissed off and burn my vmax in his front yard. thank you in advance.:bang head:

Yes....Ive bled my clutch several times....its very easy...just make certain not to get DOT 3/4 on your paint.

Follow the clutch line down. It will go down the frame, across the top of the engine by the frame, and wind up under a small nipple on the left side of the engine. Take the rubber cap off of the nipple, and place on a small clear hose.....about 2 feet long, onto the nipple. Pump the clutch lever several times.....until the lever travel starts to get shorter, and the pressure that it takes to squeeze gets harder. Then with the lever still squeezed, take an 8mm wrench, and turn the nipple to the left, and relieve the pressure. Repeat.....and it might take SEVERAL repeats. Keep repeating until there are NO air bubbles left in the hose, and do NOT allow the clutch master cylinder run dry (so keep it filled) if it does run dry.....you will have to start all over again.

There are other ways to bleed a clutch, this is the simplest especially for someones first time. To make certain that you get ALL of the air out of the system, at night wrap a rag around the clutch lever, and tie the rag to the grip....so the lever will stay squeezed all night. This will allow any air to work its way back up to the master cylinder.

Holler if you need more help.

If you have any experience with vaccum brake bleeding, it's the same principle. Some have reverse bled the clutch which pushes free fluid from the bleeder screw at the motor. Just keep an eye not to overfill the clutch master. A turkey Bastet sucks out excess or dirty fluid. You can do this.

When I bled my brakes....I had to pump the lever up a LOT....to build pressure...and I do mean a LOT. Probably 50 times...before it would start to build pressure. Your not the only person that I know that has had these kind of issues.

Air at the banjo bolt at the master cylinder-Reverse bleed it as suggested, and it'll get rid of it. Also helps to turn the bars back and forth while pumping the lever- Check to make sure the relief holes in the master are clear-the one closest to the banjo bolt is tiny, but plugs easily. Guitar string or very fine copper wire or torch tip cleaners work perfectly for that little hole. Be careful of "geysers" from the hole- it'll get fluid all over the bike...

When I bled my brakes....I had to pump the lever up a LOT....to build pressure...and I do mean a LOT. Probably 50 times...before it would start to build pressure. .

Yep- If you look in the master when pumping the lever you will see tiny little bubbles coming from that front hole- Patience and time, just keep pumping till they are gone, and you"ll feel the pressure building slowly. Once you get a decent feel on the lever, then bleed normally at the bleeder, and call it good. On my bike, it helped to have the bike idling, and slowly works the bars back and forth while pumping the lever. Also check the small barrel in the lever- make sure its well lubed and not binding on the pushrod for the master. I have the DD mod, and my clutch engages at about the half way point from the bar.

no pressure in the clutch lever.NOW WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?????????:bang head::ummm:

I had exactly the same problem when I first tried doing my '86. There was absolutely no way it could be bled like the brakes.

The ONLY way that worked for me was reverse bleeding - that is get a large syringe, a hose that fits snuggly on the syringe and the bleed nipple, and then crack the bleed nipple just open enough to push fresh fluid through from the syringe.

Make sure not to overfill or let the fluid escape the M/C reservoir or your paint will be fucked.

Latest posts

Back