Adjustable slide needles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumper

Reaction score
I had 4 sets of slide needles laying around that came from Vmax/venture carburetors that were of course non adjustable. I had a set that showed promise when I tried them but a little to rich and no way to drop them 1 clip. I made a tool the thickness of a snap ring and added two clip settings leaner and richer than the single clip position. That's a Grizzly mini lathe and the two needles are a before and after needle. It's a 5DGLX59 that came out of a set of 1200 venture carbs, they have a very nice taper to them and the 1300 motor runs better with them than the stage seven needles. So far one clip leaner and a perfect fuel ratio.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 77
Re: Adjustable slide needlesu

Nice work. Interesting mini lathe you have, I may look into one of those in the near future. Taig lathe and maybe a CNC mill, would need to learn how to use but I have a couple buddies that could help with the learning curve.

Thanks, To bad I can't spell LOL, u on the end of needles ????. I figured about 2 trips to the machine shop or maybe even one and the lathe is paid for. Once it was set up took about 30 min to do a set of four. Had my guy at the machine willing to give it a try, but wouldn't give me a price, so I went this route.

Thanks, To bad I can't spell LOL, u on the end of needles ????. I figured about 2 trips to the machine shop or maybe even one and the lathe is paid for. Once it was set up took about 30 min to do a set of four. Had my guy at the machine willing to give it a try, but wouldn't give me a price, so I went this route.
Cost for doing a set for a member?

I need to build a better tool to cut the groves if I was to do them for someone else. I just cobbled together one and it worked ok, but I am going to build a better one for nicer results. You would laugh if I told you what I used......When I get the new one done I will let you know.

I need to build a better tool to cut the groves if I was to do them for someone else. I just cobbled together one and it worked ok, but I am going to build a better one for nicer results. You would laugh if I told you what I used......When I get the new one done I will let you know.

Looked like a brad point drill bit to me.
Whatever works!
That's way more precise than my work. My machining tools are a bench vise, hammer, and some files. :biglaugh:

1\4 inch concrete bit with the carbide insert in the tip, Had to grind down as it was way to thick. My grinding wheel is a little smaller now. Bitch to line up the blade so it's straight. I want to make one on 5/16 square stock so I know it's square and true to alignment. Drill bit did OK........but I want it better.

I picked up a mini mill a few years ago and have made great use of it. A combo lathe mill drill press will be in my future when I get another man cave someday.

Latest posts

Back