Carburetor idle circuit cleaning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very detailed step by step idle circuit cleaning, I haven't tried it but others say it works.
For others who tried it please comment about it and how successful clearing your problem.

Lvlhead's Vmax - The Shotgun
firfly

Thanks, After it's winter's sleep it looks like I have to do this. Running the tank dry, and Stabil, didn't do crap. It will barely idle. After a 30 mile ride it is a bit better but I'm no longer spending money on Stabil. I didn't realize how easy it is to drain the fuel bowls. Live and learn.

I actually thought that snake-oil called Stabil might do something. I should have went with my gut.

Last edited:
I understand some people don't want to undertake a carb disassembly and cleaning. I separate 'em into pairs, and remove the brass, and into an ultrasonic bath they go. A thorough inspection before reassembly shows any remaining issues, like a plugged idle (pilot) jet. Actually, I usually inspect the pilot jets for not being obstructed before the ultrasonic tank.

What I'm saying, is that I don't bother trying sprays, I discover the bike isn't carbureting properly, off they come, and apart they go. That's been the way I find I fix the issue. If you have issues when the carburetors go back-on, that's when you use a spray can of something like starting fluid, to check the rubber donuts and the VBoost O-rings next to the cyl heads, for vacuum leaks. Do the carburetors correctly, and then the only thing left is a vacuum leak (or leaks).

I understand some people don't want to undertake a carb disassembly and cleaning. I separate 'em into pairs, and remove the brass, and into an ultrasonic bath they go. A thorough inspection before reassembly shows any remaining issues, like a plugged idle (pilot) jet. Actually, I usually inspect the pilot jets for not being obstructed before the ultrasonic tank.

What I'm saying, is that I don't bother trying sprays, I discover the bike isn't carbureting properly, off they come, and apart they go. That's been the way I find I fix the issue. If you have issues when the carburetors go back-on, that's when you use a spray can of something like starting fluid, to check the rubber donuts and the VBoost O-rings next to the cyl heads, for vacuum leaks. Do the carburetors correctly, and then the only thing left is a vacuum leak (or leaks).

I've opened up a can of worms before when I tear into something that might have been fixed with time or less "tearing-up." I'm going to try the least evasive procedure and go from there. Maybe I'll waste time but I've got nothing major planned, expect dying.

I understand some people don't want to undertake a carb disassembly and cleaning
Thats whats great about the shotgun. Average working guy can do it on a saturday and ride on sunday without special tools or spending lots of $$$$. Then in the off season either dive in himself or save up and pay a pro to do the honors of a full rebuild.
What do you like to use in the ultrasonic cleaner??

Latest posts

Back