89 VMAX won't turn over fast enough to start the bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supervetteracer

Reaction score
Bought an 89. It may have a dead battery. But I wanted to check other stuff first. I've only ridden this bike a handful of times and every time I feel like the battery was going south. My charger said it was fine. A test pack said hte battery was fine. Today (38 degrees in the garage) it turns over very slowly. Not quick enough for it to start.

I put 40 amps from my charger to it and it acts the same. Could this be a loose wire? The starter is engaging, so I guess (????) that its not the starter clutch.

You guys got any ideas as to what I should check?

First thing that I would do is take the battery out, and have it tested. Ive known of batteries that have shown good....but fall flat on their face under load.

When my battery died it did the same thing. It had just enough juice to power the headlight and instruments but the starter turned over exactly how you described. I tried filling it up with distilled water and trickle charging it but ended up just replacing it.
Your battery might not be putting out enough cold cranking amps.

I can't recall. I was in a hurry to get the bike running again so I ended up getting the only one that the local O'reily auto parts store had. I've heard panasonic LCX-1220p works.

Once you know you have a good strong battery I would begin to check all connections, solenoid, grounds, starter, if ok it may be time for a starter rebuild/ upgrade.

I sell the Earth X lithium Ion's but have used the larger diehards (how to is on here somewhere) and even the PC680's all with good success.

Sean

I just got through taking the original 2 pole starter off, found both mounting bolts loose to the point you could see the arc scoring on the bolt thread boss of the starter and the engine case. After a complete cleaning and internal ground mod I installed a separate 6 gauge wire from the lower mount bolt to the negative pole of my Odyssey pc680 battery, made a new 4 gauge wire from solenoid to starter, battery had bolts but I made some 6 mm all threaded studs so as to make sure everything was good and tight.

Bike fires right up now, can't test the hot start yet cause bike is in the kitchen until spring here in Alaska.

Back