What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a $14 endoscope off the 'bay and checked my oil galley O-ring thru the drain hole today on my "85 barnfind with it. Took me a while to figure out it had n opaque protective film on the mirror LOL

No O-ring showing WAHOO!

Congrats, I did the same thing at the beginning of the riding season. I went in through the oil level sender hole. Those scopes are handy. And for cheap money? I'd suggest one be in every tool box. It won't go to waste. Plus, save money on a major medical procedure. Just wash it between uses. Carb. cleaner?
9.gif

Congrats, I did the same thing at the beginning of the riding season. I went in through the oil level sender hole. Those scopes are handy. And for cheap money? I'd suggest one be in every tool box. It won't go to waste. Plus, save money on a major medical procedure. Just wash it between uses. Carb. cleaner?
9.gif

Thanks, I need to find the oil level unit and try that also. The view from the drain hole is the rear facing side of the O-ring joint, and they tend to pop out on the front side I think.

What direction is the view from the sender hole?

Somebody please 'splain where to look for the oil level sensing unit too please :)

Last edited:
Vista-Cruise Install

Installation of the Vista-Cruise that goes between the switch housing and the throttle grip.

First, I disconnected the upper throttle cable in the throttle slider beneath the left scoop. This allows easy disconnection of the throttle cables from the throttle drum. The throttle drum has a boss that must be machined off to allow the Vista-Cruise to slide all the way on.

100_5706.JPG

Next, I wrapped blue PAINTER'S tape around a 3/4-inch sanding drum to make a tight fit inside the throttle tube. And chucked it up in my drill press. I used a smooth-cut file to remove the boss. It took about 15 minutes which seemed like a long time but produced good results.

100_5707.JPG 100_5708.JPG

Then reassembled everything with the Vista-Cruise in place:

100_5713.JPG 100_5714.JPG

I'm not sure if I should have left the original cable clamp in there (visible in the last photo).

Rode out to Daytona to meet up with genecarroll, bought an extra set of Gannon's cops that he had, & the rode over to boxenstopp to meet Joe. Man he is much better after all he's been through, he has a great attitude towards life.

Absolutely NOTHING! My baby is shoved in a crate, on a boat, making its way to the east coast. Then she will be loaded onto a truck and will spend another 10 days on the road headed to Oklahoma. In all, about a 7k mile trip and not a single second of seat time for me....THIS SUCKS!!!

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

Found that my 2 year old battery is starting to loose its kick.. Topped off the acid levels and charged in the house till it read 14.8 volts. While that was charging, decided to check on the starter motor to see if i can fix that hot start problem I've seen. Drained the coolant, removed the hoses to get at the starter. Pleasantly surprised to find that the PO upgraded from the 2 brush motor for the 91 to a 4 brushed motor.. Brushes looked new.. blew out all the carbon dust and re-lubed the rear bushing. It did not have any tabs to re-adjust, just cleaned everything up and put her back together. Started her up after re-adding the hoses and coolant. it started up but I plan to get a lithium upgrade battery.

Absolutely NOTHING! My baby is shoved in a crate, on a boat, making its way to the east coast. Then she will be loaded onto a truck and will spend another 10 days on the road headed to Oklahoma. In all, about a 7k mile trip and not a single second of seat time for me....THIS SUCKS!!!

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

I fell ya pain... Woona is down and the bike won't be fixed until Saturday at the earliest. With any luck, I will have her Saturday afternoon, I am hoping. Get a few more rides in before it is time to store her for the winter.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

David, where will you call home when you get back to the States?

Cleaned my fork seals with this tool I made from the side of a Windex bottle. It worked great, seals stopped leaking completly! See suspension forum post for more details.
IMAG1525.jpg

sorry for the delayed response, things are getting crazy. Home will be Enid Oklahoma, stationed at Vance AFB. Im excited because I will be within driving distance of Sean Morley and I cant wait to meet the man that has helped me and so many others with our maxes.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

Not much has been done with Woona right now. I cannot sit there lovingly staring at her without having the mechanics at the shop believing I have gone completely insane...
Found a certain part that I need to have the bike up and running again. Sean has one, and I am ordering it.
(THANK YOU SEAN!!!!!)

I just went for a ride yesterday....but I did it with the back protector that I bought. It was pretty comfortable, and about 70 bucks from Amazon. As much as I'm enjoying Seans jet kit...I might need extra protection....just in case.

Attachments

• P1000216.jpg
    P1000216.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 51
Well, today was Cyber Max install day. I think it turned out pretty nice. Still have OEM, should I decide I want to go back, of course.

Attachments

• vmax1.jpg
    vmax1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 45
  • vmax2.jpg
    vmax2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 41
  • vmax3.jpg
    vmax3.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 42
  • vmax4.jpg
    vmax4.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 38
  • vmax5.jpg
    vmax5.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 36
Some of the other guys on here who ran that (the CyberMax) said the light dispersal and output was worse than the stocker, please post-up your experience. You could always hot-wire your old stocker and have someone hold it alongside the Exactrep system for an A/B comparison, showing output down the block for long distance and on a wall or garage door for cut-off and pattern.

It looks menacing, doesn't it? If you had one of those Predator helmets and rode around w/that thing for a headlight, w/Predator's two-ended weapon slung over your shoulder, only the most aggressive, psychotic drivers would be willing to challenge you.

And, "Redbone," thanks for the gal w/the meat closer to the bone. I liked the redhead, but this one is a good change.

Yes, the cybermax light output sucks big time. Maybe 1/4th the light output of stock.

I am sure Sean has 1st-hand knowlege of the Cybermax, where my report was anecdotally-sourced from probably his and others' reports on-here. I think that's something you stick-on for appearance's sake (I have a good story about that).

It looks like the lights are projector beams, which typically have good function, but I guess the design in this application just sucks. The light output of the stock VMax system is such that by 70 mph in the evening I felt as-though I was out-running the beam, not a good feeling! I tried the 55 watt, then the 100 watt replacements, and while they helped, I didn't satisfy my need for better output until I got a 7" steel EMGO bucket, a H-D clear lens w/little fluting on it, and installed it (details in another thread). At some point I may choose to go to HID, but for now I am OK w/my set-up.

Now for the story: years-ago, my Shovelhead/Lowrider (since new!) friend and I were at Daytona beach for Bike Week. I had friends who were racing in the vintage races, and that's a favorite part of the events for me, as you can wander the pits and see everyone's creations, eyeball 'em up-close, and speak to them about their rides. Todd Henning had just come-off the track after winning his race (I told you it was a long time-ago) and was cooling-down in the pits, he hadn't even stripped-off his leathers. His racebike was ticking-away, cooling-down itself and I noticed a strange addition Todd had added. It was a blue nitrous oxide bottle, and he had it attached diagonally along the rear third of the bike's flank w/bungee cords! Seeing the strange arrangement, I asked him, "why the NOS?"

He replied, "the guys I beat are so-humiliated they figure it's not that my riding talent is s-much better than theirs, that I must have an 'unfair advantage' instead of superior riding talent and good bike preparation. This is my-way of 'rubbing it in their faces!' :rofl_200:

I have a picture of Todd next-to the bike, it's on 35 mm film, stored-away somewhere.

Yes, the cybermax light output sucks big time. Maybe 1/4th the light output of stock.

Filled her up, added some seafoam, rode around town.one last time and put her in dry dock for the winter.

Back