DDM Tuning HID Install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JrBiem

Reaction score
Hey gang, I received my HID kit from DDM Tuning in the mail a couple days ago. I have no clue how to install it and it came with no instruction at all. (and apparently my search skills are broken today!) The only guide on their website is for a car, can anyone point me to a write-up on the install process?

Thanks!

Hey gang, I received my HID kit from DDM Tuning in the mail a couple days ago. I have no clue how to install it and it came with no instruction at all. (and apparently my search skills are broken today!) The only guide on their website is for a car, can anyone point me to a write-up on the install process?

Thanks!

can you take a photo of the kit & post it, did the kit come with a relay harness?

your kit has the relay harness, great.
1- connect the relay harness red wire to the battery terminal (remove the fuse until all connections are done)
2- Connect the black harness wire to a good grounding location close to the headlight.
3- Remove the headlight lens & remove the halogen bulb, install the HID bulb in its place.
4- connect the male H4 plug of the relay harness to the bike's H4 stock plug.
5- all other connectors go only the right way, the connections from the bulb to the ballast & controller.
6- route the wires so that they don't get kinked by the steering movement.
put the fuse and test the light.
you will love the HID output.
hope this helps

Attachments

• Hid connection.jpg
    Hid connection.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 118
1- connect the relay harness red wire to the battery terminal (remove the fuse until all connections are done)
2- Connect the black harness wire to a good grounding location close to the headlight.
3- Remove the headlight lens & remove the halogen bulb, install the HID bulb in its place.
5- all other connectors go only the right way, the connections from the bulb to the ballast & controller.
hope this helps

thanks for the diagram! helps a ton! I've got the new bulb in the housing...now just trying to work out where to stash the wires and run them cleanly.

hope this helps

The picture is slowly sending from my phone to my email so that I can circle what I'm asking about in paint and post it, but here's the question. I've laid everything out on the living room floor like in the picture.

-there are 2 connections from the ballast to the bulb and one connection from the relay harness to the bulb
-there is a connection from the relay harness to the ballast
-there are the connections from the relay harness to the battery (red wire w/ fuse) and the h4 connector

from what I am understanding those are the only connections I need to use? There is another much longer connection from the relay harness with two ends on it (like for a 2nd ballast and bulb)...hey maybe I just answered my own question!!! is that for car installation for the other side? :clapping:

The picture is slowly sending from my phone to my email so that I can circle what I'm asking about in paint and post it, but here's the question. I've laid everything out on the living room floor like in the picture.

-there are 2 connections from the ballast to the bulb and one connection from the relay harness to the bulb
-there is a connection from the relay harness to the ballast
-there are the connections from the relay harness to the battery (red wire w/ fuse) and the h4 connector

from what I am understanding those are the only connections I need to use? There is another much longer connection from the relay harness with two ends on it (like for a 2nd ballast and bulb)...hey maybe I just answered my own question!!! is that for car installation for the other side? :clapping:

Yes you have a car relay harness but also some bikes have two H4 headlights, just don't use them or even cut them off after you test on the bike.

35W H4 hi/lo and the color is 8000k

that 8000K will give bluewish light, a 4300 to 5000K will give the highest lumens and are very white, a 6000K is ok with a slight blue, they call it pure white but as it gets older the blue increases.

that 8000K will give bluewish light, a 4300 to 5000K will give the highest lumens and are very white, a 6000K is ok with a slight blue, they call it pure white but as it gets older the blue increases.

Maybe I'm wrong, I may have ordered 6000k. Its all wired up and I tested it in the garage. It isn't very blue at all, just hellishly white! Looks good to me...WAAAAAY brighter than stock!

now I just have to figure out where I'm going to hide all those wires and cram that massive bulb in the headlight bucket!!!

Maybe I'm wrong, I may have ordered 6000k. Its all wired up and I tested it in the garage. It isn't very blue at all, just hellishly white! Looks good to me...WAAAAAY brighter than stock!

now I just have to figure out where I'm going to hide all those wires and cram that massive bulb in the headlight bucket!!!

it looks like the bulb is not too deep and might fit without any modification to the headlight housing, enjoy, for more light you can remove the top shield of the bulb housing the (chrome cap), readjust the aim of the headlight after installation or else you'll blind on coming cars.

This might be a mod for me this spring, since it sounds like the kit offered now is truly just plug and play. I didn't want to cut off the stock connector in case I ever wanted/needed to go back to a halogen(in case the ballast took a dump or something I could roadside swap a standard bulb back in).

A little research says that while 55w are technically brighter, when installed in reflector-type housings (designed exclusively for halogen bulbs), rather than the fish-eye projector housings on newer cars, they often just create a lot of glare and a "washed out" look, with the 35w throwing a better overall light pattern. Several places listed 35w and 4300K as the "best" for both visibility, and minimal glare to other drivers.

Trying to button this up today. Tested light and it worked, fired up bike and gauge lights plus headlight went out. Turn signals still work as does neutral light and tachometer. Inline fuse on kit and the 4 fuses under faux tank are good. Is there another fuse I should be checking somewhere?

I ended up putting a dual H3 HID 6000K on my bike last week end.
The beams are separated: Lo or Lo+Hi.
It was hell to find space for 2 ballasts and I ended up squeezing everything.
Not as bright as the 55W but less heat.

I found out that you have to go with a a low beam only style bulb. the hi-lo beam bulb is to long for headlight housing. (maybe ddm bulb will fit?) I put the HID country Hi-lo beam in and would not fit. HID country sent me a low beam only and a low beam relay and it all went togather. HID country also sent me a 6000 bulb free of charge. I was told that high beam is no brighter than the low beam.

I was told that high beam is no brighter than the low beam.

But usually it's not about the brightness, but the range, right? I always thought that low beam used only the top half of the reflector in order not to blind oncoming traffic, while high beam uses the whole reflector to see as far as possible.

It's why I've always wondered about the HID upgrades, as they're supposed to include a HID reflector to make full use of the technology - HID bulbs supposedly not being compatible with non-HID reflectors.

He did say that it changes up when you put it on high beam. But he also said low beam is alot brighter than stock. I wont know how great it is or how bad it might be until i get my bike back togather and ride at night.

Anyone have ideas where I should start the search to fix this issue? It's near 70's here this week and I wanna ride! lol

Main fuse is good, all fuses under faux tank are good. Put tester on all of them, grounds are good as well. Inline fuse on HID power wire is good as well. Only 2 things that aren't working are the headlight and the gauge lights.

Latest posts

Back