Maximum range

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only run out once. Didn't get that lucky. Here is where I asked my wife to bring me the fuel can and it arrived empty. I had only had the bike about 1-2 months at the time. I know it's range is almost the same as the XV750 I owned which I pushed it into the gas stations multiple time. Not as heavy as my max but it still sucked....

Yes, It does have to be a certain resistance to work properly. Others have tried to swap in a LED and then have issues because of this. There is a work around with resistors but, I've never seen a writeup on it.
I'm going to mod that Fuel light with a single High Output Flashing LED. I have to check the default draw current 1st, then put in a load resistor to mimic the sock setup.

I'm going to mod that Fuel light with a single High Output Flashing LED. I have to check the default draw current 1st, then put in a load resistor to mimic the sock setup.
If you get that all figured out I'm sure it would be a great benefit to the members here if you were to write up a comprehensive how to article.

Good luck!

Leaving Lake Tiorati at Harriman State Park (Bear Mountain) when my 91 started choking out on me. I was like, Oh Shit!! LOL. That's when I looked down and saw that Red Eyed Devil glaring back at me. Flipped on to reserve, but had to ride another 7+ miles to get to a station. That was truly an uneasy 7+ miles. Put back in 3.98 gallons. too close for comfort.

It would be nice if someone would construct a sender unit to replace the stock one, that allows connection a real gauge. I could dispense with the pump stalling as a warning "IF" I could keep an eye on my fuel level while I ride.

Only got the Valero station in Harriman/Southfields on 17......or if you had enough to climb route 6 starting at the Palisades Interstate circle, it's a l o n g downhill with a gas station at the bottom. I've ridden down that whole route 6 downhill while idling with my clutch pulled in for fear of running out. :)

I likewise run around 100 miles from full when I do the replenishment thing.
There was one time when I did run (of necessity!) about 15 miles on red light.
Don't want to do that again unless I run out on a long downhill with a station at the bottom.

My gas mileage is around 35 MPG when not using the spurs.

Stan

I copied this from another post but is relevant for this thread as well.
My fuel mileage is in the high 30's/ low 40's (dependent on my hooligan hand). Now that I have my fuel light fixed it runs to 160 miles to the light. I do have a 5 gal tank and so far the furthest I have gone on a tank has been 192 miles and 4.6 gal to refill.
It makes riding in the U.P. more relaxing knowing that you can pass a fuel stop and make it to the next stop without worry. The after work rides can go longer now without constantly route planning around gas stops.
KJ made a post about the wiring and setup of his Ebay koso knockoff fuel gauge but further input is always welcome.
Here's KJ's post: http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29049

If you get that all figured out I'm sure it would be a great benefit to the members here if you were to write up a comprehensive how to article.
Once I get behind the console, I'll Pull the bulb and get the specs of it, then see how much resistance it has. At that point i'll just need fashion a bulb's base with the load resister in-line, leading to the LED. Drop it back into the bulb receptacle and mount it under the red filter that there now. Or better yet, drill a small hole with a rubber grommet to allow the LED to be in the open, for maximum brightness.

If I keep mine running around 78mph on the interstate I'll hit 130mi (40mpg) before the light, meaning at that speed I can go another ~32mi until I'm empty. Riding slower in the mountains however I have hit over 45mpg. I used to only get to about 115 before the light, the only mods I have done that created the improvement are exhaust and main jets.

I've never seen the sending unit from a VMax. Is it a float? If so, it should be a simple matter to adjust that to light up earlier.

Someone correct me please if I've got this wrong but I believe it's a very small heating device of some sort. The fuel cools it. If it heats up then some sort of thermocouple changes resistance due to temp change and that drives the light??

the only mods I have done that created the improvement are exhaust and main jets.
What main jets are you running?,
I have stock exhaust, stage 7, 2nd clip from blunt, no shims, Mikuni 152.5 on all four.

Someone correct me please if I've got this wrong but I believe it's a very small heating device of some sort. The fuel cools it. If it heats up then some sort of thermocouple changes resistance due to temp change and that drives the light??
OK, I guess that's harder to modify than a float.

What main jets are you running?,
I have stock exhaust, stage 7, 2nd clip from blunt, no shims, Mikuni 152.5 on all four.

UFO 4-2-1 Exhaust and 155 mikuni main jets. I'm also at a mile above sea level, I guess some people at sea level do 160-170s.

I only got about 90miles last week. Since we have little traffic enforcement, I ride around 100 + mph most of the time once out of the city. I have morley's jet kit (160 jets) with a 4-1 pipes. At sea level.

Back