Trailer Hitch for Gen I VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a trailer hitch to their Gen I Vmax here? I'm wondering if there is anything out there bolt-on or will I need to custom fab something?

I picked up a tow behind trailer that I want to modify to hold my RC airplanes so I can do both of my hobbies on the same sunny day.

I believe some threads have been posted here in the past but didn't have too much luck searching them out.

I have one custom made for a max sitting in my garage they had the signals relocated and ran the braces up where they were mounted with some stronger bolts. I will try & get some pictures of it in a bit. Its for sale but shipping would probably be a bit since its big & bulky

The Hitch is designed for a Honda GL500 (Silverwing) the only thing that has to be changed is the braces have to be longer for the Vmax.

I ordered my Hitch from Denray out of Canada Bolted right up and works perfect. I used longer bolts for the exhaust so I could put nuts on the back for the hitch.

The Hitch is designed for a Honda GL500 (Silverwing) the only thing that has to be changed is the braces have to be longer for the Vmax.

I ordered my Hitch from Denray out of Canada Bolted right up and works perfect. I used longer bolts for the exhaust so I could put nuts on the back for the hitch.

I've never used a hitch on a bike, so I'm curious. I don't see any allowance for flex, so what happens when the bike's suspension compresses?

From what I can see, it mounts independently of the swing arm, to the peg bolts on the bottom, and the turns signal holes on top. That's why the first set of pics the hitch has a drop in the lower bar to accommodate the swing arm going up and down.

OK, I see. It doesn't mount to any suspended components at all.

No, and it works great, I have towed bikes hundreds of miles. I try to not tow anything over 400 lbs but I have for short distances. 300 lbs or less is ideal, you have to remember the impact on braking. I also have the trailer custom designed with a full 360 degree swivel hitch so I can go to max lean angle and not have issue.

That looks pretty slick. I like it. But i'm confused weather it bolted right up or had to be modified. If modified, it looks good. I can't see any signs of rework. Could you clarify?

That looks pretty slick. I like it. But i'm confused weather it bolted right up or had to be modified. If modified, it looks good. I can't see any signs of rework. Could you clarify?

Direct Bolt on, no modifications needed, just make sure to tell them it is for a Vmax (Order for the Honda) to make sure they give you longer braces, or make your own

Back around 1988, I fabricated a hitch for my '85.. I used it ti pull a small cargo trailer with a car top carrier bolted to it. We did a lot of miles pulling that trailer.The hitchworked fine, and we never had a problem with the setup..

Thanks for all the info and links guys. I'll definately be picking one up by spring time. Need to modify the trailer and get it back to street ready over the winter.

Latest posts

Back