All good things...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank5079

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well all good things must come to an end...and after that cold and wet ride home from work yesterday, I decided that I was going to change my old battery and do the big battery conversion mod, first thing this morning. As I was starting to put everything back together, I noticed cracks on my ignition coils. No wonder my bike was starting to sound like it had a miss.....I guess it's time to do the Coil On Plug conversion too.....

Definately a good decision! I did mine before i thought i had an issue, found all 4 were cracked when i made the change.

It's quite common to find cracked coils, dosen't mean they're all bad tho............................Tom.

It's quite common to find cracked coils, dosen't mean they're all bad tho............................Tom.

Ditto. Those cracks don't mean a thing. My 85 has had those cosmetic cracks for years, and don't miss a lick.

Silicon them over if you don't want to get rid of them just yet. BUT, I do have some COP kits on hand again.

Thanks you guys for the advice!!! I bought these ignition coils last year but was too lazy to want to do the swap...actually too busy between working and riding. The coils are from a late model Yamaha R6 complete with harness and the color codes are almost like the Max's; where the Max's are orange and red w/ white tracer, the R6's are orange and red w/ black tracer

What symptoms are you seeing from cracked coils?

Finished the ignition coil-on-plug swap; breaking loose those OEM coil hold-down screws was not a problem using my 18v battery powered drill-driver. After putting everything back together, I fired her up without using the choke; with the new, bigger battery, the starter definitely sprang to life, spinning the engine a lot faster than even the old OEM battery could and she immediately started....can't wait take her out to work tomorrow(hopefully it won't rain).

Latest posts

Back