rear wheel hub help please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likembikem

Reaction score
I am having problems seeing how the rubber mounted rear wheel hub comes off. I am stripping the wheels to have them powder coated. I thought the hub just pulled straight up off the 5 rubber cylinders in the wheel.:ummm: The service manual just shows pictures and I am still not sure. Also while I am at it, what all do I need to do to fully strip the wheel. How do I get the rubber cylinder inserts out? should they be replaced with new ones. Thanks, I want to get this done soon, weather is too nice. My tires are worn out and I want to get this done at the same time I put tires on.

You don't need to take the rubber dampeners out (they are a bitch to do anyway). They will survive the coating process/heat. To get the splined drive off there is just the one external snap ring.

To prove Sean's point here is my stock rear wheel that I PC'd...
Wheel 2.jpg
The rubber is high grade and survived the long temp ramp-up and 400 degree cure with only very slight impact.

Update on my wheels: They are back from powder coating and have new tires on. The rubber dampeners survived fine. I just had to plead with the paint shop to go ahead and do the job with the rubber in there. I have my front wheel bearings in. Going to work on the rear tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I think I may pc the fork lowers this winter.

Yep, many don't trust it to survive the 400 degrees they have to get the oven up to.

and or the lengthy bake time of at least an hour...

wondering what kind of powder they use that needs over an hour bake time?
I am thinking of doing an extra set i have laying around if they will fit in my oven. The powder i was planning on using was i think BIKE BLACK from powder by the pound and it states to cook for i think 15 minutes at 400f
Michael

wondering what kind of powder they use that needs over an hour bake time?
I am thinking of doing an extra set i have laying around if they will fit in my oven. The powder i was planning on using was i think BIKE BLACK from powder by the pound and it states to cook for i think 15 minutes at 400f
Michael

15-20 minute average schedule time,after flow out, at temp. Plus extra time to outgas the part at temp.

Sorry so long to answer; mine needed a lot of sanding to smooth out; $200 ....each! but sure look great now

My local shop I've used charges $100 apiece, though they may cut that a bit if you have a bunch of other stuff to give them. They will take the nastiest part in and return a very neatly-done piece.

How much does a shop usually charge to powercoat the rims? Those black ones looked sharp.

Latest posts

Back