Best year V-Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, you guys got it all wrong. The 05? anniversary edition was the fastest. Yamaha bored, stroked & ported it, titanium pistons, rings, valves, cams & crank. Ceramic brakes & forged wheels with an aluminum frame that looks like steel. They say 185 at the wheel.
Now if you believe that then have I got a deal for you!

Lets face it, they're all fast!

Nah, you guys got it all wrong. The 05? anniversary edition was the fastest. Yamaha bored, stroked & ported it, titanium pistons, rings, valves, cams & crank. Ceramic brakes & forged wheels with an aluminum frame that looks like steel. They say 185 at the wheel.
Now if you believe that then have I got a deal for you!

Lets face it, they're all fast!

Just a guess here.....is that the wishlist for Anniversary Edition # 1448??:biglaugh::eusa_dance::biglaugh:

nah - all you guys got it wrong. No matter how much you'll try to deny it, everyone in the world knows that '86 is the BEST year bar none.

Of course this has nothing to do with my signature and I am 100% impartial.

I agree :punk:

I have to say by far I am partial to my 2002 Max. It was the last year of the gloss black engine and frame....all years after were flat black engine and frame.

They're all just as fast as the other until you start modding them out for more ponies....or less if you put a Cobra Slash-Cut 4 into 4 system on like I did and lost about 10 hp. Looking to get a UFO Dragstar 4-2-1 that is raved about for bolt-on power gains.

I have to say by far I am partial to my 2002 Max. It was the last year of the gloss black engine and frame....all years after were flat black engine and frame.

I like my Carbon Fiber too. No other years had this cool paint/finish. I looked long and hard to find a perfect one and when I did didn't hesitate to get it. I always get attention and comments wherever I go. Absolutely no regrets.

All have same power plant.

85 and maybe 86 could have the second gear problem.

First significant changes were 1993 with better front brakes an larger fork tubes.

Not sure when spin on oil filter came on board.

Some ignition changes were also made.

americade always demoed the vmax. i rode an 01 02 and 03. blown away by the 01, but seemed like the 02 03 werent as intense. probably used to them by then. i own a 92. mine handles more nimbly than those, but not as stable.

To answer your original question, 85 is not the "fastest" year. There is no fastest year, they are all the same performance wise... except for the earlier European ones that didn't have v-boost.
All right who doesnt know what they are talking about? I believe that saying about what you hear & see & you know how the rest goes. Im always up for proving someone wrong but when I was at a buddys house last night where 2 people have 85's (bought new) I made the comment that Performance wise my 03 is the same bike. They both laughed at me & said that yes exhaust was restricted but that is easily gone with a pipe But also the cams are diff. I need someone to chime in with facts. Because he's building an 85 now so I said if thats true then save me the cams out of that motor. Oh ya we dont live in europe

Last edited:
my yammie dealer says that the 85"s did have more agressive cams.

and i have heard that from other folks. never seen it in print anywhwere tho:confused2:

so far im pretty happy with my 07....

it has character and power.......just what i like in a bike.....:punk:

Dealer is wrong. There is a difference between cams but it's between California and non-California models.

Dealer is wrong. There is a difference between cams but it's between California and non-California models.
This is going to break they're heart if its really true. I know their response already. Ride an 85 then ride anything newer & there is a big difference

All right who doesnt know what they are talking about? I believe that saying about what you hear & see & you know how the rest goes. Im always up for proving someone wrong but when I was at a buddys house last night where 2 people have 85's (bought new) I made the comment that Performance wise my 03 is the same bike. They both laughed at me & said that yes exhaust was restricted but that is easily gone with a pipe But also the cams are diff. I need someone to chime in with facts. Because he's building an 85 now so I said if thats true then save me the cams out of that motor. Oh ya we dont live in europe
You don't have to believe me, but it seems every 85 owner claims that. And I'm sure if there was a different cam, 1 of us on here would have realized that by now. Check the parts number, see if they are different.

I don't blame you for wanting to prove someone wrong. Feel free to research. Go to Ronnies or yamaha-motors websites. You'll see the part numbers are the same. If they were truly upgraded or downgraded then the 2nd to last numbers would be an 01 instead of 00.

thats exactly what I've been sitting here trying to find. I went to outlaw to find the 85 fiche but I didnt see cams & if they were there I couldnt read them. Ill try those others thanks

The old fiche numbers are all on the Yamaha-Motor.com website.

Sean

Latest posts

Back