VMax 1200 standard headlight size?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindless

Reaction score
Hi fellow Yamaha owners,

Been scouring the net for info on what size the stock headlight is on the old 1200 VMax but I haven't been able to find anything.

Reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about doing a headlight swap on my Yamaha MT-01 and I've found a really sleek and cool looking fairing that is originally intended to go on the old VMax.

Fairing in question: http://japan.webike.net/products/4465671.html

cbcc2102.jpg

Now before I bite the bullet and buy this fairing I'd like to make sure the headlight I had in mind would actually fit it.

So, is the stock headlight a 6½" or a 7" headlight? Or maybe it's smaller?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Viktor

Does anyone have an forsure answer on this? I believe it's 5.75", I could be wrong though. Hopefully one of the knowledgeable guys will chime in on it. Also, does anyone have a fairing like this?

Last edited:
Hi fellow Yamaha owners,

Been scouring the net for info on what size the stock headlight is on the old 1200 VMax but I haven't been able to find anything.

Reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about doing a headlight swap on my Yamaha MT-01 and I've found a really sleek and cool looking fairing that is originally intended to go on the old VMax.

Fairing in question: http://japan.webike.net/products/4465671.html

cbcc2102.jpg

Now before I bite the bullet and buy this fairing I'd like to make sure the headlight I had in mind would actually fit it.

So, is the stock headlight a 6½" or a 7" headlight? Or maybe it's smaller?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Viktor
Stock headlight is 6"

Is tha the bucket opening or measurement including the bucket? I really like the Harley day maker light and I found one on eBay. It's a 5.75" so will that work?

Is tha the bucket opening or measurement including the bucket? I really like the Harley day maker light and I found one on eBay. It's a 5.75" so will that work?
I would think the surround will close to that number.

FM.... I saw your previous post but someone else had said that it was 5 1/4". Not near my bike either to measure myself

The headlight bucket bezel opening into which the lens w/its chrome retaining ring fits is 5-3/4". Measuring the fluted raised portion of the lens, it is close-to 5-1/4" but that is not the width of the lens, which is wider. The chrome ring which holds the fluted lens is fractionally-less than the 5-3/4" of the headlight bucket bezel's inside dia. The O.A. dia of the bucket bezel is ~6-3/4".

If you're planning to use a cowl which advertises it's a 7" opening, that gives 1/8" on either side for clearance, and there is probably some type of whiplace or rubber gasket trim around the inner opening where your headlight bucket would fit.

Anyone know where to find a headlight fairing like the OP was looking at?

Has anyone here put an LED bulb in the stock VMax headlight bucket? If so, what size bulb did you purchase. I have a 2000 VMax. My original stock headlight measures 5 1/2 " across the bulb.

Has anyone here put an LED bulb in the stock VMax headlight bucket? If so, what size bulb did you purchase.
The bulb is H4, the base is the same but the LED module are of different size and shape depending on the brand /model.

The problem is that the position of the filaments and shape of the reflector define the beam pattern. Light from a LED is not unidirectional so it is unlikely to give the same beam pattern.

If it helps, I have bought one of these, supposed to emit light in same way as filament bulb but I have not gotten round to fitting it.

Screenshot_20211105-192812.jpg

Has anyone here put an LED bulb in the stock VMax headlight bucket? If so, what size bulb did you purchase. I have a 2000 VMax. My original stock headlight measures 5 1/2 " across the bulb.
I've got a LED H4 base bulb in my '85s stock reflector. The light output is absolutely amazing. I bought the bulb on Amazon, spent about $15 for it, if memory serves me. I am using a high output stator and a series type regulator, so my electrical system is putting out a solid 14+ volts. In my opinion, this is the best alternative for getting a lot brighter headlight compared to halogen. The bulb fit inside the housing with no issues. Previously I was using an 80/100 watt halogen bulb with headlight relays. Because the LED draw is much less than halogen, the relays aren't really necessary ( but I left them in anyway ). They live inside the bucket too..

I purchased a light on EBay. It appears to be the same diameter as the factory stock.
I will post the process of fitting and installing it.
More to see soon.

Attachments

• LED Headlight V Max.jpg
    LED Headlight V Max.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 26
I've got a LED H4 base bulb in my '85s stock reflector. The light output is absolutely amazing. I bought the bulb on Amazon, spent about $15 for it, if memory serves me.
And that's the way to go. The H4 is a direct LED replacement for the factory 9003 halogen bulb that came in it.

Running a 140/100 bulb with relays to address voltage drop through the wiring and the switch. I seldom need the high beam. Lots of heat is the only concern. A ceramic plug from Sean seems to work well. +1 to the high output stator, Bill. 14 volt charging is helpful for the whole electrical system. My headlight bucket is crammed full, not enough room for another wire.

I've got a LED H4 base bulb in my '85s stock reflector. The light output is absolutely amazing. I bought the bulb on Amazon, spent about $15 for it, if memory serves me.
Would you have a link to the bulb you purchased or able to post a photo of it?

gentzmax has a perfect setup with a led headlight and the steps to take to install. It's not a bulb it's the whole light.

Latest posts

Back