Fat max from Russia project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. Im not really understanding what you mean but for what i've seen so far it must be working... My setup is below. Check what i told you about braking the shaft...

img23911.jpg
[/URL]

img2390gd.jpg
[/URL]

img2381bw.jpg
[/URL]

img2389n.jpg
[/URL]

img2382sq.jpg
[/URL]

Why did you both decided to stick with the shaft drive? That's a very sharp angle to use any type of u joint. They're not made for that kind of misalignment. If you think about what is going on inside of that swingarm when it's going up and down with the suspension under power... yikes!

Here's a link to a good thread on chain drive conversions... where unfortunately the goal of having a bolt on chain conversion never came to be... Evil Relikt Awesome bike!

Looks like they changed the site a bit and some of the close up link pics of the motor conversion have disappeared. Think I may have some stored away if your interested.

wildweasel_pt, the U-joint have a strict dimensions to bend. It's near 15 degrees from axis. What you did is a dangerous variant. It will make kick in bearings of U-joint every rotation.

My swingarm is much longer and I've made calculations in CAD. Here's a pic that illustrates what it makes:
203516673.jpg

TURBOVMAX, using the shaft drive was a decision of my customer, who asked me to build this bike. Many people prefer shaft because you don't need to oil chain :) And yes, I saw evil Rrelikt. BEATIFUL bike! I've found several ideas from their creations. And, yes, I'm thinking about the convertion kit for vmax to make it on chain.

wildweasel_pt, one more thing - shaft is made of special alloyed steel. And it is specially thermaled. It's dangerous to weld such things.

I really don't want to offend - my main speciality is metalworking. And as one of my teachers said before - designer is a dandegous work. People nay get hurt if you'll do you work wrong.

We can always make you a driveshaft if you want. Ours are done "right" and have the heat treat process and correctly splining (we can do inner and outer if desired as well as other custom stuff). I can't take all the credit for it though!

Sean

wildweasel_pt, the U-joint have a strict dimensions to bend. It's near 15 degrees from axis. What you did is a dangerous variant. It will make kick in bearings of U-joint every rotation.

My swingarm is much longer and I've made calculations in CAD. Here's a pic that illustrates what it makes:
203516673.jpg

TURBOVMAX, using the shaft drive was a decision of my customer, who asked me to build this bike. Many people prefer shaft because you don't need to oil chain :) And yes, I saw evil Rrelikt. BEATIFUL bike! I've found several ideas from their creations. And, yes, I'm thinking about the convertion kit for vmax to make it on chain.

Good job Nick! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Hey guys
Those pics are deceiving... The ujoint was just laid there for the picture. Its bent in about 15 degrees as said when in place. Its been rolling since 2005 and i got it to over 180 Km/h with no issues, i disassembled the whole thing last year when i took these pics to replace bearings and repaint the swingarm and the ujoints have no slack or freeplay whatsoever. In the back of the ujoint before the rear drive theres a bearing to keep everything in place. You can see where it connects on the shaft pic... It stays there really sharp and works pretty well. The modded shafts were balanced and thermally retreated after work was done and they have some freeplay on the longitudinal axis on the splined sleeve to compensate for swingarm swinging...

Last edited:
Fred, I've had troubles where my setup uses a transfer case where the shaft out of the motor goes to a ujoint then a custom shaft welded to a large gear that in turn has a 3" chain to an identical gear shaft facing out the back to a female ended shaft that runs to the rear end so there's NO angles but I've stripped the ujoint splines about 4 times behind the motor and the shaft broke free of the gear twice till I had it Tig welded and polished and no problems since ( about 4K miles so far. Even Sean can't understand why I'm stripping the splines on the ujoint but thats a cheap weak point so I can handle that but the gear/shaft isn't. If THAT fails anymore im gonna need to have a one piece unit made. You interested? Let me know if not Sean says his guy in Australia can but that will take a while. Thanks, Ed

Hi Ed. Man im lacking time. I'd like to help you out but im overwhelmed and too many things happening at the same time. I have my bikes scattered all over the garage floor and im falling behind on my shit because im doing stuff for other guys. I just cannot get into another thing right now. Im still in debt with Sean for a project we have for the carbs and i need to get this prioritized otherwise i'll have too many things to do and i'll end up failing on tackling with them all...

Hi Ed. Man im lacking time. I'd like to help you out but im overwhelmed and too many things happening at the same time. I have my bikes scattered all over the garage floor and im falling behind on my shit because im doing stuff for other guys. I just cannot get into another thing right now. Im still in debt with Sean for a project we have for the carbs and i need to get this prioritized otherwise i'll have too many things to do and i'll end up failing on tackling with them all...

Standart situation. Can't say no, but can't finish everything :) I've been making my own nike for six years. Had no time to finish it, then found new ideas etc.

Fred, I totally understand. Mines fine now, but was just curious to see if you'd be interested. You seem to really know your stuff and i'm really pickey who does work on my bike besides me or Sean. But thanks anyway for your honesty and believe me I get overwhelmed myself so it's cool. Thanks, Ed

I have been looking at these things for a long time.I always wondered how they dealt with angle at the diff considering how big the u joint has to be to fit in the swingarm.I was thinking about constant velocity joints from a import car like a honda or similar or maybe custom made.I really want to make one but that has always stumped me because I always see them fully assembled and the person who owns it usually says I don't know I just paid to have it done

shawn, here, take a look. Shaft and the U-joint near diff is made by me. The U-joint near the engine is stock.

I gave dimensions on the pic. Ypu can see, it's near 15 deg.

209180792.jpg

209180801.jpg

209180804.jpg

Can't wait to see the finished unit, and the bike competed. Lot of hard work in that. Thanks for sharing.

New project. 200/18" front tire, 300/18" rear. Models are mostly ready, started to machine tripple trees.

209571441.jpg

209571549.jpg

209571548.jpg

Back