mill-work

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use it just not to its potential, but for $400 I couldn't pass it up!

WOW! What a bargain! Too cool.

I want one, to convert to CNC. Then I can learn how to do 3D CAD design, and use a milling machine. Should be easy, right? :rofl_200:

The pads will compensate with wear fairly quickly for any mismatch. You just don't want to have it where the caliper is off center far enough to grind on the inside surfaces (there are very small protrusions that allow for a visual alignment).

Sean

I agree. I wish I had pics of the brake mods I did on my little Benelli. The pad is rotated a few degrees, and it is shaped to fit a smaller diameter rotor. The rotor has a wider pad area, which the pad sits entirely within. So, it's squiffy, but it works like a charm!
There is leeway there, for sure.

Agreed. We can set it up on the machine if desired and mill some off but it's not nearly that complicated.

Holy crap... Thats a gift... Can you post a pic or the model?

:biglaugh: Here it is, single phase 220 .Came with way more then $400 worth of tooling. Someday I might get ambitious and learn how to use it properly:confused2:

Attachments

• photo (84).jpg
    photo (84).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 33
If its a true Bridgeport and not a china knock off, you have a solid machine there if all the way's and gibs are good. Run an indicator and tram everything in and see how well it holds tolerance. But for $400 if you are just learning, you can't beat that.

Todd

Very cool. And pretty compact as well. Single phase 220v thats spot on... :biglaugh: Care to put that into an envelope and sell it to me for 500 bucks???... 100 bucks easy profit... :eusa_dance:

i called the local motorcycle machine shop and they said they could do it in 8-10 weeks. so i called another machine shop/harley shop and they said sure bring it down and we'll take a look.

It ended up being later (6pm) and the owner was the only one left. took a look at the piece and was a bit concerned how to hold it properly as the rest of the piece was cast. he had an idea and asked how quick i wanted it done. he had about 30 harleys in the shop waiting so i knew it'd be a while, but he said hey cash money i can get it done in 20 minutes. i went to go get some cash and we chatted for a bit while he finished it up. he ended up milling the back side a bit for a parallel plane to clamp on to. milled what i asked, we chatted some more, and asked for $25. I gave him a bit more as it saved me a trip and he was friendly about the whole thing.

so overall i'm happy. haven't had a chance to make sure it works yet but in due time.

i called the local motorcycle machine shop and they said they could do it in 8-10 weeks. so i called another machine shop/harley shop and they said sure bring it down and we'll take a look.

It ended up being later (6pm) and the owner was the only one left. took a look at the piece and was a bit concerned how to hold it properly as the rest of the piece was cast. he had an idea and asked how quick i wanted it done. he had about 30 harleys in the shop waiting so i knew it'd be a while, but he said hey cash money i can get it done in 20 minutes. i went to go get some cash and we chatted for a bit while he finished it up. he ended up milling the back side a bit for a parallel plane to clamp on to. milled what i asked, we chatted some more, and asked for $25. I gave him a bit more as it saved me a trip and he was friendly about the whole thing.

so overall i'm happy. haven't had a chance to make sure it works yet but in due time.
See, towd ya :)

well either the original piece had some thing wrong with the mounting bosses (it was a spare piece i picked up and never bench fit) or the piece got milled on the wrong plane. unfortunately it causes the brakes to bind. spoke with the original guy, he wasn't sure how else to hold it to ensure a flat plane. going to talk to the other machine shop in the area this afternoon.

yea this isnt' a gsxr-600, with plethoras of spare shit on ebay. i dont' want to ruin another piece.

i know if you were down the road you'd bang it out in 10 minutes.

the plane he milled on was definitely straight but over the length of that boss it seems maybe .3mm off. way too much by the time it gets to the end of the bracket its 2mm off from where it should be. 1mm over the length of the pads.

Well how about a fix plate?

an option.

but this was a spare. i have the one that was working. going to try the machine shop i probably should have gone to at first to do it. i'll see what they say.

If you ask me bro I would do it on a lathe.

interesting thought. but thats also why i brought it to a machine shop and didn't use a file. b/c i just want it done whatever way gets the best results.

say you're using a mill, isn't there a way to ensure that the bosses are on the same plane before you mill? like a parallel check?

Yep, with this tool or with a dial gauge mounted into collet.

wysokosciomierz.jpg

Back