Bike just started popping after filling up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndulucky13

Reaction score
So was on the interstate today and hit 117 miles and it started to sputter so I switched to reserve and found a gas station and filled up with 91 octane I have never used this gas station before . Filled up and left got back on the interstate and bike now backfires pops from the exhaust when letting off the throttle and when holding steady at 60mph. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you may have brought some dregs or residue into your fuel system from the bottom of the tank. Try changing your fuel filter. Blow thru it before you discard it, if it's hard to do that, you have a fuel starvation issue from the filter being partially-plugged. Try draining your float bowls too into a receptacle so you can see what comes-out. Particles, I bet. Or maybe water/gas separation (very evident).

So was on the interstate today and hit 117 miles and it started to sputter so I switched to reserve and found a gas station and filled up with 91 octane I have never used this gas station before . Filled up and left got back on the interstate and bike now backfires pops from the exhaust when letting off the throttle and when holding steady at 60mph. Any thoughts?

I had a similar experience just last week. The bike started piping and backfiring really bad. I topped of the tank with 1.5 gallons of premium and a splash of Seafoam and now she purs like a kitten until I snap the throttle open then it's more like a raped ape.

Ok so replaced fuel filter and spark plugs drained float bowls and did get some tiny debris out of the bowls took it for a ride and popping has gone down a lot but it's still there I also added some gas stablizer as well. Is this something that I need to just ride and then fill up again see if it goes away?

Well went through and preformed the whole shot gun technique and was installing the k&n filters and noticed that the hoses that let from the filters to the canister were cracked so I went to check them and they crumbled so I had to replace them and now it runs like a million dollars thanks guys for everthing very happy to have her running right again.

Latest posts

Back