I almost died today...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImCannibal

Reaction score
So I'm going down the road, going the speed limit of 50mph when this knucklehead in his bro-dozer (you know the type, giant 4x4 with a crappy body lift and 22" wheels running low pro tires) cuts me off and locks up his brakes. Well I can't change lanes or shoot into oncoming traffic so I engine brake and hit both brakes... I switched to hh pads YESTERDAY. My front wheel locked up and started to slide and I almost rear ended this clown. Thank god nobody was behind me, but as soon as I fully stopped this guy just takes off and hits the next on-ramp to the freeway... If he had stopped before that I probably would have given him some Russian justice... I'm okay and the bike is okay, but damnit that was scary.

I'm just glad to hear you didn't actually hit that truck.
I'm glad you and the Max are OK.

There was no reason for him to stop other than being an asshole, and I stopped about six inches from his bumper... Terrifying.

Glad that you are Ok and his day will come for driving like an idiot! , Karma , just takes a little time.

If I see that truck anywhere, ever again, I'm going to slash his tires and smash out the windows. Just saying.

I'm glad you are OK.

1) Leave more space between you and the rear end of any vehicle.

2) Everytime a cager does this they are committing 'Karmacide'. It's like suicide but slower.

3) Carrying your anger makes you weaker.

Let it go.

Last edited:
We've got to be ready for anything on the black top. Cagers, trucks, and even other bikes. I recently did a little trip up north and left before sun- up to get by Boston traffic (slim chance). This idiot weaving in and out of traffic, wearing a rag for a helmet, but in the rest of the wanabe clown suit, (we're a helmet state) comes within inches of side swiping me. I herd, but never saw him coming. I also had a dirt bike pass me on the left in traffic while I was in the left hand lane, last season. I almost hit him. I like a full face helmet, but vision is impaired a bit. If ever down on the asphalt, I'd rather be fully geared up.

Hey, I'm glad your O.K. and all but really, don't most of us have close calls somewhat regularly if you ride around much traffic? If I got too upset or angry every time some idiot almost killed me on a motorcycle I couldn't focus on riding and making sure none of them actually do kill me.
I once rode to work and told the office chick that I passed a bad motorcycle accident on the way in. She asked, Doesn't that make you want to stop riding? I asked her if she has ever seen a bad car crash, and did it make her stop driving? The best way to stay safe is to keep your wits about you and know that only you can keep yourself safe.
Don't get me wrong, I'd be really pissed off as well, I just try not to ever let it distract me from my riding. Except for that once when I kicked a door at the lights when I was younger and dumber.

I was in Coral Gables FL yesterday on Bird Rd, divided highway 4-lanes. I came-upon a Gold Wing & a minivan, evidently someone clipped someone. There was a portly male rider w/a shorty helmet & black leather vest & his passenger, she was attired the same, and evidently got some road rash, as she was holding one arm and examining her hand pretty-closely. They were both ambulatory & the bike was upright, but the minivan was in the road. If it had been someone down on the road I would have stopped & assumed control of the scene until fire-rescue got there. I got a couple of blocks down the road & heard, then saw the LEO's running code-3 to the location.

If you took offense each time some idiot did something to threaten you, intentionally or unintentionally, you would probably find yourself in silver bracelets and a 'guest of the state' once they caught-up w/you. Better to say a prayer that you escaped yet-again, and lived to ride another day.

VBoost is to get away from situations like that. And wear AGATT so if you do part-company w/your bike, you can escape orthopedic surgeon bills and plastic surgeon bills, and hopefully, just face replacement of a helmet and some riding gear.

When I say he "cut me off and locked up his brakes" I mean he came ripping out of a side street on the right (I was in the left lane) and blew through the right lane and into mine, then slammed on his brakes with only about 15 feet between us and NO cars in front of him, normally I do my best to keep several car lengths between myself and cages. It was clearly malicious on his part, or he was drunk/high. Either way I'm glad my reflexes are as good as they are and that I had switched to hh pads the day before, without that combination I'd probably be in a hospital bed right now even though I'm always in full gear (full face helmet, jacket/vest, gloves, pants, boots). And regarding carrying my anger with me, it's pretty much what keeps me alive.

I don't think anyone is playing down your incident, it just seems that if you thought he actually was trying to kill you or If you thought he was drunk you should have reported him, for all of our sakes as well as your own. Otherwise all you can do is, as a very wise man I know says, "breath in , breath out, move on".

Matt

Maybe it gets to the point where you use a camera to record all your riding, and if something happens, you have the proof. Even then, most police agencies won't pursue any action unless someone was hurt/an accident occurred. I think all riders have multiple stories, and your best defense against aggressive or stupid drivers is situational awareness, a bike in good shape, and AGATT. Anticipate the driver is going to do the wrong thing. Plan an avoidance tactic. When something does happen, hopefully you have the time to respond to save yourself.

Here in so. FL, it sometimes appears that most people don't bother to stop for red lights and stop signs, they just whip-around the corner, some more-slowly than others. They seemingly don't bother to see if there is someone in the crosswalk, they just turn without considering there could be someone there. I've recently seen a couple of impatient drivers run a red light, going straight-ahead, I guess they are really in a hurry, and don't give a s__t about anyone-else. I had a guy run a red light from a full stop when I had the green arrow and was executing a left-turn, I had to slam-on my brakes to avoid him broadsiding me and the local cop who had been sitting next-to me at the light couldn't be bothered to go-after the guy, while I was sitting on-top of my skid marks, giving the red-light runner the benefit of my airhorn. Stupid, inattentive people or just dangerous ones. Be defensive, and in marginal traction situations like rain, or at oil-slicked intersections, give yourself extra space to deal w/the 'meatballs-for-brains' drivers.

I can't stand semi-comatose/conscious drivers like that!!! One of the reasons why I try to stay hyper-vigilant when riding on surface streets, specially ones with side streets and intersections....

A woman in a mini van with a back seat full of kids and a cell phone in her hand and piece of pizza in the other would have just ran over you. Consider yourself lucky you were just cut off!!! Keep check in rear view for the mini van, forget the Mud Truck.

Back