Building a Tool Set

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
Now that I'm a proud owner of a VMAX I want to start assembling the tools I'll need to take care of it. Besides a metric socket set and a set of box end wrenches what else should I add to my list. I'm pretty sure I can handle simple things but I would like to be able to do more complex tasks down the rode. I'm planning to keep Mr Max for quite some time. Thanks for your advise (current and future):clapping:

Good screwdrivers, a set of specialty screwdrivers w/torx male tips, torque wrenches 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2", an impact driver in either 3/8" or 1/2", some adapters going each-way (1/4-3/8; 3/8-1/2") some extensions in your drive sizes, a good ball pein hammer & a baby sledge, or a bigger ball pein, and some cold chisels and punches; and my favorites, some straight-jaw Vise-Grips (10" size I find to be most-used) and a Dremel tool w/their ~$20 dispenser pack of heavy-duty cutoff blades (don't fall for the quick-release ones, that's just an excuse to charge more $ for the same thing) and a bunch of different bits.

The Dremel tool and its bits are something which can get you out of so-many situations. Slotting a rounded-off fastener so you can release it w/a good-fitting screwdriver, I've even made Phillips-style cuts, but usually a tight-fitting slot head cut will release it.

A BernzoMatic torch in either propane or MAPP gas. Used for those thorny problems like brake disc buttons before you bugger the heads. Heat and an impact driver will release nearly anything, and the cold chisel for when it won't, before the last-resort of the drill press/hand drill, a new bit and/or an e-z out.

A Mity-Vac for fluids, and a 60 ml syringe w/a short length of 1/4" I.D. clear plastic line on it to reverse-bleed your clutch from the slave master cyl. bleeder valve. Some metric flare-nut wrenches.

Harbor Freight Tools is OK to get your stuff at, they are very cost-conscious. Pro guys get Snap-On or MAC. I have a mix of stuff, and for my uses, I usually hit Sears Craftsman sales, but I have all of the above in some form.

That's a good start. One self-repair often pays for the tool.

And a shop manual of-course and a computer to get onto here and ask for help.

With all the bikes you have listed you must have sync gauges if not I recommend Carbtune or you can make you own to keep your carbs in sync. Do a search here on the forum for shotgun and pea shooter, this procedure will come in handy.

Back