need some help with a strange issue - surging - dies when shifted when cold.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dij0674

Reaction score
I'm stumpped on this one. And it is a safety issue at this point.
Here are the issues:
When cold (<195) the bike dies when I shift into 1st.
And the bike is surging hard...like a pissed off horse.
The voltage seems to bounce around between 11 and 13 volts.
Once the bike warms up it runs fine and voltage is stable at 12.6 to 12.9 and no surging.

I've done all the fixes for charging.
The carbs have been tuned by a builder and seem to be fine.
I think it is something with the voltage or charging.

Any ideas?

Damien

I'm stumpped on this one. And it is a safety issue at this point.
Here are the issues:
When cold (<195) the bike dies when I shift into 1st.
And the bike is surging hard...like a pissed off horse.
The voltage seems to bounce around between 11 and 13 volts.
Once the bike warms up it runs fine and voltage is stable at 12.6 to 12.9 and no surging.

I've done all the fixes for charging.
The carbs have been tuned by a builder and seem to be fine.
I think it is something with the voltage or charging.

Any ideas?

Damien

The voltage bounce could be due to the surging RPM's.
Did this problem start after the carb work?
Did the builder have the carbs off the bike?
Could this be related to air leaks around the carb boots?
Cheers

I'll do a starting fluid or propane check tonight.
The voltage is strange. When it starts it is low 11.6-9 then it climbs to 12.6-9 at idle. Then goes down as th e rpms go up. After warm up its all good and steady at 12.6-9 seems to rise at idle to 12.9 and stay at 12.6 when riding.

check to see if all your mixture screws are there. just a guess, but one could have fallen out. what do the plugs look like?

I'll do a starting fluid or propane check tonight.
The voltage is strange. When it starts it is low 11.6-9 then it climbs to 12.6-9 at idle. Then goes down as th e rpms go up. After warm up its all good and steady at 12.6-9 seems to rise at idle to 12.9 and stay at 12.6 when riding.

Are you checking voltage at the battery? If so your charging system is not healthy.............

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19108

Looks like it was the side stand switch...go figure.

I tested the carbs with Starting fluid...nothing.
Tried to put it in gear...died

Jumped the side stand switch and presto, no issues with going in gear and all surging is gone!

Time to get this bike back on the road!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. This is an awesome forum.

Damien

Well it's back...warmed the bike to 140 this morning. Shift to first ...Dies. I shorted the side stand switch last night and every thing was good. Back to the drawing board.

Well it's back...warmed the bike to 140 this morning. Shift to first ...Dies. I shorted the side stand switch last night and every thing was good. Back to the drawing board.

Did this problem start after the carb work?
Did the builder have the carbs off the bike?
:ummm::ummm::ummm::ummm:

I think it is fixed...again! Last night when I jumped the sidestand switch at the harness connector and went for a test ride, everything was good. Then I came home and cut the side stand switch wires tied them together and plugged in the switch. Then had the issue again this morning. Tonight, I cleaned the connector pin, put electric grease on it and went for a test ride. Again everything is good. Hopefully tomorrow morning everything will work fine. Thanks for the help and advice.

D

well I'm stumped again this morning same symptoms let it warm up to 120 degrees shifted into gear and it died started it again let it warm up to 195 degrees shift into gear and it dies I don't understand last night I went for a ride it was running great

Will do. I bled the clutch over the weekend and have tried the roll test with the clutch in. I'll try pumping it again to make sure that isn't it.

If my bike sits for a couple days it will do the same thing if I pump 5 or 6 times it goes in to gear just fine without stalling

l recall that Barnett clutches were notorious for allowing the friction disc/steelies to stick-together when left to sit overnight, or longer. First time into-gear the next morning, the bike would lurch and die, and you had better be ready to cover the brake if it decided to stay running!

This appears to be more of a non-start issue than one of sticky clutch plates. I think what some of the guys are saying, is that the micro switch on the clutch may be killing the circuit. It can stick like the side stand switch, and render the bike dead. 'Fanning' the clutch lever may temporarily free the micro switch and allow the bike to run. Bypassing both sidestand and clutch switches removes them from the equation, though you lose the safety they provide when working properly.

Latest posts

Back