160/60 on 18 x 5.5" wheel?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFleshRocket

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '03 has a stock front wheel and a UFO Maxdaddy 18" rear wheel, which I think is 5.5" wide (the UFO website doesn't specify--just says it supports up to a 190). My Max is currently running Bridgestones in a 110/80R18 and a 180/55R18. I want to run the stickiest rubber possible and there are some decent selections in the 120/70R18. The 110/80R18 has its profile compromised (too pinched) by being put on a 2.15" wheel, so I'm planning on having the front wheel widened to 3.5" (assuming Kosman still does it) so I can run a 120/70R18.

The problem is that none of the sticky 120/70R18 (or even 130/70R18) front tires have a matching 180/55R18 tire. The Shinko Verge (which the Gen2 guys seem to speak highly of) comes as a 200/50 but given that the 180/55 has very little clearance, I'm sure a 200/50 won't fit. There are, however, plenty of 120/70 and 160/60 combos available--Dunlop Roadsmart, Metzeler Z6 and Z8, Michelin Pilot Road 2 and 3 (and 4, I think), and Conti RoadAttack 2. I'm leaning towards the Conti as it seems to be the most sport-oriented tire of the bunch.

I'm anal about wanting to have a matching front and rear tire--it bugs me when they aren't the same, so using a sticky 120/70 and a cruiser-ish 180/55 is not an option. A 160/60 is designed to work on a 5" rear wheel, and I feel like spooning a 160 onto a 5.5" wheel isn't enough of a variation from the norm that it'll cause a problem.

First, am I correct in assuming that the Maxdaddy is 5.5", and not 6"?

Second, do any of you have any opinions or experience with running a 160 on a 5.5" wheel?

(Why do I want stickier rubber? I love cornering and ride pretty aggressively. On several occasions including once on my old '98 Vmax, I've washed out the front end while trail braking. I've been cornering like a granny on my '03 because I don't trust the contact patch of the 110/80 and am tired of being held back. Additionally, the profile of the Bridgestone 180/55 is pretty flat--I've worn off its chicken strips despite my relatively gentle cornering--and a sporty 160/60 ought to have a better side contact patch. The Bridgestone is masterful in a straight line though--I can launch as hard as I want and have never spun it.)

Thanks!

Pirelli Night Dragon have a 130/70 18 front and matching 180/55 18 rear. Sticky enough to be dragging pegs pretty much straight away and they can be pushed pretty hard when hot.

Metzler z6 or Z8 Interacts. You won't be sliding, even on wet pavement. Launched at 5k, they spin very little. Available in the sizes you mentioned. The z8's seem to last a little longer. They aren't expensive either.

Me personally, I would have a touch time going against manufactures recommendations...IE putting a tire recommended for a 5 inch rim...on a 5.5 inch.

I have a rear wheel, made by RC that is the same as the Max Daddy....and its a 5.5 inch wide rim.

I have a 5.5" X 17" Kosman wheel w/a Bridgestone Battleax BT-023 160 on it, and the reason I chose the 160 was I got it on a closeout and could get a matching Bridgestone for the front, a 110 on the stock VMax 18" rim.

The combo does all I could want, and I was able to upgrade to radials for a total investment < $750 by buying the rear wheel used. I also corner aggressively, and can paint a black stripe cornering if I grab a lot of throttle, but that's not the safe and 'under control' way to ride, if you suddenly need to avoid some KIA Soul drifting into your lane getting off I-95, as happened to me today on the ride home. A aggressive driver, he did it on-purpose, and had also jumped into my lane while queued on the interstate off-ramp, once we started up. I was just going forward, following my lane, and had about 15' ahead of me when he suddenly darted in-front of me, causing me to run wide to avoid being side-swiped. As I rounded the corner, darned if he didn't intentionally run wide into my lane, instead of staying in his lane. Now I know it was to put me in danger's way, because no one does that twice in a space of 200 feet unless they mean you physical harm. I just avoided him and used my acceleration to leave the *(&%^%#1!! 'way-behind. And I left him there. No point in any confrontational behavior. Then I said a prayer that I avoided another south FL driver who probably has a suspended license and no insurance.

So, yes a 160 X 18" will work for you, get a sticky rubber, the BT-023 is a sport touring tire, so it's not 'the stickiest,' but it's lasting well, and I like the F/R balance of the pair.

I did have my machinist make another 5.5" X 17" wheel I am trying to find time to fit to my bike w/a wider tire to check on clearance w/the stock swingarm. It's for sale in another thread, in the 'parts' section.

I like the steering and maneuverability w/the slightly-narrower tire in the rear. My 1987 FZR1000 came stock w/a 160 X 18" rear, and it's only 4.5" wide. I bought it in 1988 and still have it, it rides great and corners well w/that width wheel and size tire.

My '03 has a stock front wheel and a UFO Maxdaddy 18" rear wheel, which I think is 5.5" wide (the UFO website doesn't specify--just says it supports up to a 190). My Max is currently running Bridgestones in a 110/80R18 and a 180/55R18. I want to run the stickiest rubber possible and there are some decent selections in the 120/70R18. The 110/80R18 has its profile compromised (too pinched) by being put on a 2.15" wheel, so I'm planning on having the front wheel widened to 3.5" (assuming Kosman still does it) so I can run a 120/70R18.

The problem is that none of the sticky 120/70R18 (or even 130/70R18) front tires have a matching 180/55R18 tire. The Shinko Verge (which the Gen2 guys seem to speak highly of) comes as a 200/50 but given that the 180/55 has very little clearance, I'm sure a 200/50 won't fit. There are, however, plenty of 120/70 and 160/60 combos available--Dunlop Roadsmart, Metzeler Z6 and Z8, Michelin Pilot Road 2 and 3 (and 4, I think), and Conti RoadAttack 2. I'm leaning towards the Conti as it seems to be the most sport-oriented tire of the bunch.

I'm anal about wanting to have a matching front and rear tire--it bugs me when they aren't the same, so using a sticky 120/70 and a cruiser-ish 180/55 is not an option. A 160/60 is designed to work on a 5" rear wheel, and I feel like spooning a 160 onto a 5.5" wheel isn't enough of a variation from the norm that it'll cause a problem.

First, am I correct in assuming that the Maxdaddy is 5.5", and not 6"?

Second, do any of you have any opinions or experience with running a 160 on a 5.5" wheel?

(Why do I want stickier rubber? I love cornering and ride pretty aggressively. On several occasions including once on my old '98 Vmax, I've washed out the front end while trail braking. I've been cornering like a granny on my '03 because I don't trust the contact patch of the 110/80 and am tired of being held back. Additionally, the profile of the Bridgestone 180/55 is pretty flat--I've worn off its chicken strips despite my relatively gentle cornering--and a sporty 160/60 ought to have a better side contact patch. The Bridgestone is masterful in a straight line though--I can launch as hard as I want and have never spun it.)

Thanks!

Pirelli Night Dragon have a 130/70 18 front and matching 180/55 18 rear. Sticky enough to be dragging pegs pretty much straight away and they can be pushed pretty hard when hot.

Have you used the Night Dragons personally?

The ME880 Marathon is available in a 120/70 and 180/55, but I'm worried that it, and the Night Dragon, will be less grippy than the average sport touring radial, and have a flatter profile that favors straight line grip over cornering. I may have to order a set of Pirellis from a vendor that doesn't charge a restocking fee, just so I can see them in person.

Metzler z6 or Z8 Interacts. You won't be sliding, even on wet pavement. Launched at 5k, they spin very little. Available in the sizes you mentioned. The z8's seem to last a little longer. They aren't expensive either.

I seem to recall reviews of the recent Metzlers being less than favorable. Have you run Pilot Roads or Conti RoadAttacks for comparison?

Me personally, I would have a touch time going against manufactures recommendations...IE putting a tire recommended for a 5 inch rim...on a 5.5 inch.

I have a rear wheel, made by RC that is the same as the Max Daddy....and its a 5.5 inch wide rim.

Thanks for confirming the 5.5" size.

I tend to agree about matching wheel and tire sizes, at least when trying to put a fatter tire on a skinnier rim. 180/55R17s are best suited for a 5.5" wheel. I figured that half an inch wasn't a big deal, so I mounted one on a 5" rear wheel for use on my CBR600F2 track bike. Imagine my surprise when the back end stepped out big time at moderate speed a couple of laps into a session. I immediately pitted and swapped out the wheel and tire for a 160/60 on a 5" wheel that I'd also brought along.

It seems pretty clear that putting a fatter tire on a skinnier wheel will pinch the tire and compromise its contact patch when leaned over. But last night, I took a spare 160 tire and stretched out its bead about 1/2" on both sides (approximating how it would look on a 6" wheel) and it didn't seem to have a noticeable affect on the overall tire profile. I feel like putting a 160 on a 5.5" wheel won't negatively affect its profile.

I have a 5.5" X 17" Kosman wheel w/a Bridgestone Battleax BT-023 160 on it, and the reason I chose the 160 was I got it on a closeout and could get a matching Bridgestone for the front, a 110 on the stock VMax 18" rim.
So, yes a 160 X 18" will work for you, get a sticky rubber, the BT-023 is a sport touring tire, so it's not 'the stickiest,' but it's lasting well, and I like the F/R balance of the pair.

I did have my machinist make another 5.5" X 17" wheel I am trying to find time to fit to my bike w/a wider tire to check on clearance w/the stock swingarm. It's for sale in another thread, in the 'parts' section.

I like the steering and maneuverability w/the slightly-narrower tire in the rear. My 1987 FZR1000 came stock w/a 160 X 18" rear, and it's only 4.5" wide. I bought it in 1988 and still have it, it rides great and corners well w/that width wheel and size tire.

Thanks for the share. Are you running a 110/80 radial or a 110/90 bias ply up front?

Does your machinist do good work, and is he reasonably priced? I recall reading in another thread that Kosman is done with wheel widening, and if so, I'll need to find an alternative shop.

My CBR600F2 came with a 4.5" x 17" rear wheel and a 160/60 stock. I felt like the 160 was better suited to a 150 so I later swapped to that size, and it looked like it was meant to be on there. It also came with a 120/60 front. Opining that a taller profile tire would have a better contact patch while cornering, I used a 120/70 at the track and a 120/65 on the street. Kinda funny how manufacturers matched up wheels and tires 20+ years ago.

He can do it. Not as-pretty as a more-automated process as he does the welding by hand, but they are true radially and laterally.

Thanks for the share. Are you running a 110/80 radial or a 110/90 bias ply up front?

Does your machinist do good work, and is he reasonably priced? I recall reading in another thread that Kosman is done with wheel widening, and if so, I'll need to find an alternative shop.

My CBR600F2 came with a 4.5" x 17" rear wheel and a 160/60 stock. I felt like the 160 was better suited to a 150 so I later swapped to that size, and it looked like it was meant to be on there. It also came with a 120/60 front. Opining that a taller profile tire would have a better contact patch while cornering, I used a 120/70 at the track and a 120/65 on the street. Kinda funny how manufacturers matched up wheels and tires 20+ years ago.

I seem to recall reviews of the recent Metzlers being less than favorable. Have you run Pilot Roads or Conti RoadAttacks for comparison?[/QUOTE
I haven't. I've ridden different bikes with them on though. I'll stick with the z8's because they can handle everything I can give them. 3rd set on right now.

He can do it. Not as-pretty as a more-automated process as he does the welding by hand, but they are true radially and laterally.

Cool, would you mind sending me his contact info? And if you could share a couple pics of the wheel he did for you, that would be much appreciated!

'99 VFR800, '08 1125R, '06 1050, '03 Vmax, '03 DRZ400

I haven't. I've ridden different bikes with them on though. I'll stick with the z8's because they can handle everything I can give them. 3rd set on right now.

What's your riding style like? Do you wear the Z8s to the edges (the rear, at least)? Do you do any trail braking?

'99 VFR800, '08 1125R, '06 1050, '03 Vmax, '03 DRZ400

Have you used the Night Dragons personally?

The ME880 Marathon is available in a 120/70 and 180/55, but I'm worried that it, and the Night Dragon, will be less grippy than the average sport touring radial, and have a flatter profile that favors straight line grip over cornering. I may have to order a set of Pirellis from a vendor that doesn't charge a restocking fee, just so I can see them in person.

Yeah I'm running them at the minute. Have had ME880's on another bike and the rear didn't last long at all...from memory it was toast in about 4000klms.

The Night Dragon has a nice round profile and the handling is nice and neutral. My forks are slipped thru the triples 30mm and I'm running 13" shocks and Carro wheels. Given the VMax has a limited lean angle there's only so much pressure you can put thru the tyres so having a super sticky tyre is a waste and will just wear out ridiculously quickly imo

What temperature is it where u live? It's normally pretty warm for me so I can easily get heat into the tyres so running a slightly harder road tyre works ok for me.

Yeah I'm running them at the minute. Have had ME880's on another bike and the rear didn't last long at all...from memory it was toast in about 4000klms.

The Night Dragon has a nice round profile and the handling is nice and neutral. My forks are slipped thru the triples 30mm and I'm running 13" shocks and Carro wheels. Given the VMax has a limited lean angle there's only so much pressure you can put thru the tyres so having a super sticky tyre is a waste and will just wear out ridiculously quickly imo

What temperature is it where u live? It's normally pretty warm for me so I can easily get heat into the tyres so running a slightly harder road tyre works ok for me.

My Vmax is at stock height. My old '98 was also at stock height and I actually almost never scraped a peg on it--but I get my butt off the seat and weight the inside peg, which in turn requires less lean angle to maintain a given speed through a corner. The '98 had stock-sized bias ply Avons on it. Those tires wore like iron and the front gripped like wood. (I literally couldn't do a burnout on it--the front tire would skip and the rear tire would just push the bike forward. And that was with me standing up and pushing down on the handle bars.) Still, I had the chicken strips gone on the rear and mostly gone on the front.

I live in the midwestern US. Highs in the summer are usually in the 90s, and in the winter, it can get down to 10 or even single digits. The Vmax is my go-to bike in the winter, and I'll ride it when it's as cold as 35-40 degrees. When it's that cold, though, I am usually just commuting and shivering, so I keep the aggressive riding to a minimum.

Latest posts

Back