Yamaha VMax vs Honda V-65 vs Suzuki Madura....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mitchell, those are two of the finest examples of Magnas I've seen! The super is especially nice--is that a VTX headlight you have on there? My other bike is a '95 gen 3, and it's always a nice change of pace to hop on when I'm giving the VMax a rest. However, the supers are without a doubt the sweetest looking version of the Magna ever made. Now that I think of it, it's the best looking bike Honda has ever made...

Thanks, appreciate it. You have excellent taste:biglaugh:

The Gen3 is a great bike as well:eusa_dance: Those detuned VFR engines are some of the best reliable moto engines ever built. Pretty good eye as the VTX headlight is a popular replacement for the gen3 and supers. The headlight on the silver super is off of a Suzuki M50. Thought I would share a pic or two of my bikes I sold years ago. The red one had a VTX headlight on it with a few other enhancements. The blue one was totally stock.

Last edited:
Funny, I hadn't seen this thread before, I was actually googling looking for a gas tank for my latest V65 Sabre project when I found a link to this post! Then, to see a post mentioning my "collection" so to speak, small world eh? I guess I have as much experience with these muscle bikes as anybody, I currently own just about every bike here, except the 1200 Madura. Why you ask? Those things are just butt ugly, the spoke wheels just killed it for me, and they were notorious for tearing up rear wheels! If I could find one REALLY cheap, I might get one just for grins, but they are few and far between! As far as the comparisons about these old bikes, here is my take. The VMAX is king! I have rode these bikes for a ton of miles, and have had other friends ride along on my other bikes, and the VMAX always come out in front! There have been some spirited runs, and the ONLY bike that can hang in the first 60 feet is the ZL900! It launches like all get out, and to be perfectly honest, is my second favorite bike after the VMAX! Not many people know about them, but they really are fast, fun and smoothe as all get out, I love having the six speeds! Now, the GS1150E is no slouch either, it's only a tad behind the VMAX in 1/4 mile speed, but it still hasn't beat me yet, although I bet with some ignition and carb adjustments (jetting), it could make mid 10's in the quarter pretty easily. Mind you, all of my bikes are stock bikes, and those are the ones I like to collect, so we are talking about relatively unmodified bikes here. The V65 Sabre is also a beast, and would probably be my third favorite 80's muscle bike, I am in the process of restoring about my 5th big Sabre in the past 2 years, and I have probably done a dozen big Magnas in the same time frame! The ZL1000 is a great bike too, although just a bit slower than the ZL900. The 1100F was ahead of it's time, but really is the slowest bike of all these comparisons, at least in stock configuration, but it was built on the big CB platform that was almost 10 years old when these bikes all started coming out! Anyway, for flat out speed, roll-on's and quarter mile times, the VMAX is definitely king, followed closely by the GS1150E, V65 Sabre, then ZL900 and V65 Magna. Here are a few pics of my bikes!

Eliminator2.jpg

Eliminator1.jpg

ZL1000_1.jpg

V65_Magna_slider.jpg

IMG_3671.jpg

CB1100F.jpg

002-3.jpg

In 1983 I bought a new 83 CB1100F in red. It was faster top end than the 83 GS1100E Suzuki that 3 of my friends had. Got to an indicated 154 mph. Shame it was only a one year bike. In 84 one of my friends got a 85 Yamaha FJ1100 which ate my lunch. So in 85 I bought a GS1150E Suzuki same color as yours. Seems every year there was a competition to get the fastest bike. Kinda like an arms race... I have had two V-Maxes which is my favorite bike of all time and I have been riding since 1958.

I have driven a friends V-65 for quite a few miles some years back. It was very smooth and easy to ride. Just no soul, which is a problem with many Honda's. They are great bikes but rarely stir the emotions. I have owned 12 Yamahas (my first Jap bike was a 1966 Big Bear Scrambler), 11 Hondas (including an ATV), 2 Suzukis, 2 Harleys (one the 1991 50th Ann. Sturgis model), 1 1970 BSA 650, 1 1968 Triumph 650 and a 1959 Zundapp Super Sabre (my high school ride).

Nice collection ! I agree with your assessment. My buddy has an '85 Sabre V65 - I helped him sync the carbs last week & it's a nice bike & all, but it doesn't pull as hard as my VMAX. It doesn't have the street cred either. The VMAX looks a lot beefier & hot-roddish IMHO.

Gorgeous bikes. Well taken care of. If money were no object, I'd want a stable full of exactly the same makes/models, plus a few more.

owned the same 1150 e in the 80,s was my favorite bike of all time ... third time at the track was running 4 runs of 11.2...there was a old times there same 1150 e blue all stock running high 10.s...glad you posted the pics

It's still going M8... R1, CBR1000RR, GSXR1000, ZX10R, Duc 1198........

There has always been that competition among the manufacturers but I was referring to a competition between all my friends and myself. We are all over 60 now so we no longer do that. Four of us from the original group (from early 1969) have a V-Max as our around town bike. We sometimes use them for our trip bike also. Since I sold my 1200 Bandit that was set up for trips (Givi bags, etc), I will be using my Max for everything. :)

Having owned a V30 Magna(same engine as the "baby Interceptor"), it was an exceptionally smooth engine. Absolutely ZERO vibration, as in the mirrors were bone stock still at any RPM. When I bought that 500cc Magna after riding my '82 Suzuki GS450, I was expecting it to be maybe a little faster, but not much. After all, it was only 50cc bigger. I was blown away the first time I rode it...it was a rocketship compared to the Zooky.

It was your typical Honda....excellent reliability, a "smooth operator", and overall well built bike. Far as I know it's still the fastest 500cc bike built. It kept up with my friend's 1100 Shadow v-twin no problem.

Other than Yamaha's seemingly famous starter problems, my Max hasn't given me any grief.

I've gone up against a V65. Pretty close off the line, but by the time I hooked up and v-boost kicked in in second, I pulled away.

Have a buddy here in Mckinney that collects 80's muscle bikes. He's got a V65 Magna, V65 Saber, V-Max, Kawi 1000 Eliminator, 900 Eliminator. His latest purchases are a GS1100ES and a CB1100F.

I love all those bikes!

IMO they all had their good qualities.

I had a brand new 85 Eliminator (ZL900). Ticked off my riding buddy enough at the time that he bought a new 85 Vmax! They were a surprisingly close match, but the Vmax could run the ZL900 down after regularly getting skunked on the launch. But it was close. Came down more to rider's balls than the bike's.

We had a heck of a time on those two bikes.

i had a 85 v65. i added the top end oil mod just for peace of mind. i also had my rear diff modified by replacing the ring and pinion from a 700 nighthawk.

gave hera littel more snap!! lol honestly the magna had way more low end grunt and a very smooth linear powerband that would rip yure arms off. it would climb a mountain even in 6 th gear. the tranny was kinda funky tho. wouldnt take much abuse. i had to sell it du to financial situations at the time. if i could get my hands on that very same bike in the same condition i sold it in...i would trade my max for it in a heartbeat. to be honest. altho i do enjoy it..the vmax has not lived up to my expectations.

I had a blue and white gs 1150 e back in 87, my bubby had a 87 max. We raced all the time, and whoever had the cleaner run would win by a wheel in the quarter. Good times! Just got me a Max and love it! I plan on putting together a colletion of 80's muscle bikes, I am trying to find another blue and white gs 1150e and then a 900 eliminator.

I've got a '84 v65 magna that I just love, it is not as pretty as my 99 Vmax, but is a lot more comfortable to ride all day. I can't sell it because it keeps going up in value. I plain on doing a total restore of it one day. I sure do wish Honda would bring back the v65 magna. I would buy one.

The Vmax is a lot easier to work on. Great bike

Far as I know it's still the fastest 500cc bike built.

You might want to try an RG 500 Gamma Suzuki. I had one and that fuck*r was seriously quick. Counter rotating cranks, square four and almost straight off the race track. Lordy I wish I still had it. That little bike bike would roast the skin off of most hooligan machines of any capacity in its day.

Chris.

I had a 84 V65 Magna and to be honest, it was the smoothest, most comfortable, highest tech bike I ever had and I do miss the LCD Display gear indicator and 6th Gear!!!! It was a great bike and I'll get another someday but the Vmax is just more brute hotrod all around than any of the above bikes. I'd like to take both a Vmax And a V65 to the track to see what I ran with each, one after another. I do gotta give the Honda credit that it was absolutely the most maintenance free bike ever also. And I ran the piss outta that bike. Never had any oiling issues but maybe I just got a good one.

I had a 85 V65 Magna that was super clean- everything worked great, and the paint was perfect. Only issue was the carbs. I got it from someone who didn't know much about bikes for....$400. Too it home, cleaned the carbs with seafoam, and she ran perfect. Put about 10k miles on it before moving and selling it for $1600. I loved the 6 speed- the gear indicator, and the "80's futuristic" feel about it. Hated the ugly square headlight. I remember getting on it around a slowish corner one time and just kicking out the rear, lighting up the tire.. accidentally.. and it just came right back in line like no big deal.. That bike sure had a nice clean pull too, right up to 10,000rpm. Wish I never sold it, would make a great stablemate to the vmax.

Latest posts

Back