White smoke/exhaust with full choke on cold start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mundmc

Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to ask, not me ch engine experience here.

Symptom: Whitish smelly smoke from exhaust, usually one side at a time
Onset: 2-3 weeks ago when it got cold out (low 20 F/-6 C)
Duration: Until I back off the choke (under 30 sec before choke is at half and it stops
Intensity: it makes a small cloud
Exacerbating factors: appears worse with cold
Relieving factors: non-issue with hot starts

I don't know what oil the last mechanic I saw used. I assume 10W40 or 10W30 per manual, but have no certainty

My Haynes seems to think oil is burning. It like to keep like a potential major problem. The oil is low but above the low line. The max is running well.

Thoughts appreciated
(God I'm hoping for "This is a known thing with the vmax and not a problem unless x, y, or z.)

I'm changing the oil (at 6 months) Jennifer st to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: White smoke/exhaust with full joke on cold start

Apologies I can't find a way to edit "full joke" to "full choke".

I'm embarrassed to ask, not me ch engine experience here.

Symptom: Whitish smelly smoke from exhaust, usually one side at a time
Onset: 2-3 weeks ago when it got cold out (low 20 F/-6 C)
Duration: Until I back off the choke (under 30 sec before choke is at half and it stops
Intensity: it makes a small cloud
Exacerbating factors: appears worse with cold
Relieving factors: non-issue with hot starts

I don't know what oil the last mechanic I saw used. I assume 10W40 or 10W30 per manual, but have no certainty

My Haynes seems to think oil is burning. It like to keep like a potential major problem. The oil is low but above the low line. The max is running well.

Thoughts appreciated
(God I'm hoping for "This is a known thing with the vmax and not a problem unless x, y, or z.)

I'm changing the oil (at 6 months) Jennifer st to be safe.

Ok, the easiest way to see if its oil, have you pulled the plugs? If its oil, the plugs will have a lot of deposits on them (and posting pics is a good thing).

White smoke could be condensation. Usually oil burning is a blue/gray color.

Do you know that on a motorcycle the "choke" is actually an enrichener.....so it could be that its smoke caused due to excess fuel being burned.

Not having a lot of mechanical experience is ok......thats what this forum is for.

Here is something interesting

The White smoke comes out of an exhaust pipe - quite normal phenomenon when warming up of the cold engine. This is not smoke, it’s steam! Vapour is natural result of fuel combustion. While the exhaust system is still cold the vapour is partially condensed so it becomes visible, and on a cut of an exhaust pipe usually there is water. In the process of warming up the engine and the exhaust system condensation decreases. The colder the environment is the denser becomes the vapour. Vapour is formed at temperature below 10 C when the engine is well heated-up, but when it’s freezing at minus 20-25 C degrees the smoke becomes dense and white, with a gray shade. Color and a saturation of the smoke are also influenced by air humidity: the higher, the denser the vapour is.

http://atomium.eu/home/engine-smokes-what-to-do/

Most people here tend to use Rotella Triple 15-40 for oil. Its a diesel oil, but the Vmax REALLY seems to like it.

Here is something interesting

The White smoke comes out of an exhaust pipe - quite normal phenomenon when warming up of the cold engine. This is not smoke, it’s steam! Vapour is natural result of fuel combustion. While the exhaust system is still cold the vapour is partially condensed so it becomes visible, and on a cut of an exhaust pipe usually there is water. In the process of warming up the engine and the exhaust system condensation decreases. The colder the environment is the denser becomes the vapour. Vapour is formed at temperature below 10 C when the engine is well heated-up, but when it’s freezing at minus 20-25 C degrees the smoke becomes dense and white, with a gray shade. Color and a saturation of the smoke are also influenced by air humidity: the higher, the denser the vapour is.

http://atomium.eu/home/engine-smokes-what-to-do/

Most people here tend to use Rotella Triple 15-40 for oil. Its a diesel oil, but the Vmax REALLY seems to like it.

This is very much what I hoped to hear. The symptom presenting in sub-freezing temperatures made me wonder about this.

I'll check plugs and give updates.

I used to worry about this, too, man. If it goes away when it warms up, you're probably OK. Ask anything here, though. It's a really helpful place.

Burning oil typically results in a blue smoke.

Coolant or water typically results in white smoke.

You can check your plugs for signs of oil on them. You can also check the coolant level to see if it is going out the tailpipe. Also, take a look and see if there are any signs of the oil/coolant mixing.

My guess would be condensation as noted. When parked, is you bike exposed to ambient temps or is it in a heated garage? If exposed to ambient temp then it is very likely just condensation.

Thank you all. I understand it may NOT be condensations, but I was kinda hoping condensation all along, even chanting it to myself a little.

Latest posts

Back