COPs and Tboost?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got Tboost. I've also have Gannon's harness. I hope to make the conversion shortly and will let you guys know if my tboost still works.
If not I'll just remove it. I hardly ever use it anyway.

Dale #2592

The last post on this was nearly 2 years ago, so I'm wondering if anyone discovered a definitive cause for the TBoost / COPS issue (seems I may have it too as I have COPS without ballast resistors and my TBoost doesn't work even at 6k but the servo cycles at startup). If it is a resistance issue affecting the VBoost controller, would simply fitting a resistor in the line to the VBoost controller from the TBoost unit reduce the voltage enough to make it work?

I have that set-up, it works fine. It came with the bike so I hard wired it in before the cops harness. There may be something to this. The cops and Gannon's great harness were installed a few years later. I'm thinking the resistors may be an issue.
Steve-o

Last edited:
id say take off the tboost, just leave it stock.....comes in at the right moment anyways dont feel it better at 3000rpm and whats the point of it off unless you are in lots of wet conditions and trying to keep tire spin down........try it unhooked and see if your vboost comes back alive

Get the adustable controller from Sean...works the balls with my COP mod & I get Boost where I want it (now at 4500rpm) :)

I recently installed Gannon's COP kit and my tboost doesn't seem to be kicking in at 3k any longer. Where can I get more info on the adjustable controller?

I recently installed Gannon's COP kit and my tboost doesn't seem to be kicking in at 3k any longer. Where can I get more info on the adjustable controller?

I have been thinking about this pretty heavy lately :ummm:. Depending on what T-boost set up you have can be the issue. The "T-boost" adapter that I made was for a kit that was using power from the hot side of the bike harness that feeds the coils directly. The negative side to the coils has to be the trigger side. If the the set up you are using ties into the negative side to monitor RPM's then my adapter will not work. If some of you guys have one of those kits that you are required to cut and spice into your harness please let me know what kind of connectors that you need to make it a plug and play set up. I would be more than happy to get his Pain in the Arse put to bed.

Thanks G

I would have to look at a coil before I could tell you if the adapters I have are to that wire. If not I could make one very a easily. If it is the correct way for you it might a difference which end of the coil conversion harness you plugged the tap into..... Before or after the resistor!

G

G - Just went out to the garage and took a closer look and the adapter is not to that wire. The t-adapter has a black and orange wire with the tap coming off the orange wire. The plug coming into the adapter has an orange and red/white wire coming in, but the orange wire coming in looks to be hooking up to the black wire in the t-adapter. So I think for my install I need a t-adapter that comes off the other wire.

By the way, I never got a chance to mention that I was thoroughly impressed with quality of the cop kit. Very well put together.

I found the problem is if you have a TBoost 2 with the off position. It uses a 12v bias feed to keep the VBoost controller happy when it disconnects the wires from the coils. When the wires are connected for 3k or 6k, the bias voltage is still there and seems to have an adverse effect when COPs are installed without ballast resistors. TBoost 1 doesn't have the bias voltage as there is no off position and so doesn't have thie problem.
In the end, I made a switch unit that allowed me to have VBoost at 6k or off by disconnecting the bias when in 6k position and reconnecting it for the off position.

I have T-boost and I'm going to be putting the COP system on my bike soon, I will let you know the results. It's an 85 btw.

Another thought though, if this an issue with needing a different resistance, as someone mentioned this guy Sean sell an adjustable controller. I don't see why you couldn't just put an adjustable resistor (basically like a dimmer switch) right inline with the T-boost feed from the orange wire. Any sort of electronics knob is an adjustable resistor, is it not? Old TV volume knob, guitar volume/tone knob, et cetera.

Then if you could adjust it until you have it opening where you want and if you wanted to have a permanent resistor instead of adjustable you could pull the adjustable one out, measure the resistance you have set it at and buy a resistor of that value.

If my t-boost stops working when I install the COPs I will probably try that method unless someone has a reason why it wouldn't work. Thanks.

I'm interested in finding to see if this has been resolved. Just ordered the COPS and T-boost...

Ok, so I finally got my bike up and running. I've had switchable T-boost (ON position to have it open at 3k and OFF for regular stock V-boost) for years, worked fine. I have now put cops on it along with cleaning out the carbs. Runs great now.

I will check to see for sure but it appears that the T-boost in the ON position has no effect but it still works like stock in the OFF position at 6k.

I will try putting an inline variable resistor with the orange wire and see what I can do.

Back