Best year V-Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dethklok

Reaction score
So I know the v-max has never really changed (excluding the new version obviously) but I have heard a few people say the 85's were a little bit more powerful then the rest? Yay or nay?

If so was there really anything that different or is it just more of a tuning/uncorking kinda deal? How much faster were the 85's?

They are all basically the same bike. Although, I've heard the 85's exhaust didn't meet the imission standards, so it changed shortly there after.​

As far as some of the other changes they include; beefier forks, colors, and Yammaha's version of the o-ring fix and 2nd gear fix.

Here is a list of changes:

Vmax Changes
from 1985 to 2001

1985:
  • First V-Max appears on American market with 145 HP announced and 1/4 mile covered in 10 seconds. V-boost equipped.

Introduction for Europe in France:
  • 104 HP at 7 500 rpm and a torque of 11,48 mkg at 6 000 rpm
  • No V-Boost for Europe
  • Rear aliminium dished wheel
  • 2 front ventilated discs ? 282 mm with opposed pistons.
  • 3D V-max emblem
  • Front aluminium dished wheel
  • Black air scoops, side covers and tail lamp mount
  • Digital electronic ignition.
  • Back to aluminium colour for air scoops
  • Introduction for Japanese domestic market

For Europe:
  • Modifications to suit noise regulation from 83 to 81 dB. Exhaust system changed and max. power decreases from 100,2 HP/ 7500 rpm to 95,2 HP/ 8000 rpm.
  • New camshafts with lengthen valve opening to improve character: Max torque of 10,3 mkg is at 3000 rpm only ( formerly 10,9 mkg / 6000 rpm). To keep superb acceleration rear transmission, ration is changed from 33/9 to 33/10.

Fundamental chassis changes:
  • Fork tubes increase from 40 to 43 mm. Ventilated- drilled discs of 298 mm with 4pot callipers.
  • Metzeler tyres instead of Dunlop.
  • More powerful generator.
  • Black wheels ,air scoops, exhaust system and fork outer tubes.
  • Cartridge type oil filter element
  • Back to chrome exhaust system
  • Back to polished wheels and fork outer tubes
  • Carbon look for fenders
  • Front fork seal guards
  • Carbon looks for tank cover
Bur to answer your title question, 2007 is the best year :biglaugh:

Last edited:
to be honest i think either the '06/07 is the best or the late 90's....

i like the blacked out '06/07 look, along with when they did it in what like '97/98 with the black headers, rims, mufflers, scoops, etc....

not sure when the 2nd gear and o ring fixes went in tho. so combine those too answers..

I believe (by memory) that from 2003 on no more changes were made to the gen. 1 bikes. So anything after 2003 would have all the changes and be the most up to date.

As far as better... The big BETTER is anything '93 and newer as they came with bigger brakes and forks which make a pretty big difference.

Always buy as new as you can afford in the case of the Vmax. Just my 2 cents.

Chris

nah - all you guys got it wrong. No matter how much you'll try to deny it, everyone in the world knows that '86 is the BEST year bar none.

Of course this has nothing to do with my signature and I am 100% impartial.

Ok, Ok, this IS a question that has been mulled over by motorcycle aficionados all over the world.........seemingly, without resolution.

Therefore, dannymax will settle the matter, once and for all....and, I trust, to everyone's satisfaction.

It is.....of course.....THE '99 YAMAHA V MAX!!:thumbs up::whistlin::hmmm::thumbs up:

Attachments

• 100_1270.jpg
    100_1270.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 33
1990 all the way just cause that is what I ride!! lol Really I have found evidence like my seat has 2 different years marked under it and neither is 1990 but hey it runs super and looks awesome. What more could you want :)
Oh ya My bike is Blacked as well so ya its better and faster lol

Danny - you spelled '99 wrong. It's spelled 1996 !!!:biglaugh:

Attachments

• Feb Max 002 (Medium).jpg
    Feb Max 002 (Medium).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 18
So I know the v-max has never really changed (excluding the new version obviously) but I have heard a few people say the 85's were a little bit more powerful then the rest? Yay or nay?

If so was there really anything that different or is it just more of a tuning/uncorking kinda deal? How much faster were the 85's?

To answer your original question, 85 is not the "fastest" year. There is no fastest year, they are all the same performance wise... except for the earlier European ones that didn't have v-boost.

85 gentlemen, most stock ponies has to be the best one. ( well look at whats sittin in my kitchen, MY 85...lol )

I figured there would be no real difference...and if its just the exhaust well who the hell keeps stock cans on it anyway haha.

Thanx for the info guys

Its obvious 1985- 2009 onwards . i keep reading that the motorcycle critics are saying that the vmax has a cult following , which if im being biase does . The Vmax has its faults which makes it so fucken exciting .
If an attractive big breasted blonde fell over with her legs in the air how challenging would that be .
What other bike do we honestly know that has that sort of following . Guys i know say "you spent that much on a bike thats that old" and of course when they are in the rear vision mirror they either missed a gear or didnt give it the shit . YEAH RIGHT .

As there have been no ads on tv for the gen2 09 Vmax as offically its not on the market here as all 7 yes i said 7 are gone . utube had the ad for the 09 saying "The Legend is Back"
Technically i ride the original Legend , of course i do . That would figure why Triumph, Hardley and eveyone else check it out on the side of the road .

This is why as long as Yamaha make the Vmax raguardless of its faults .
Every year is the best year .

We should all consider ourselves priviliged and worthy to ride it .

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Yes I agree with all of you, 1996 is the best year because it is the first year to have all the performance upgrades like spin on filter, big forks, electronic ignition, calipers and rotors etc. Who the hell cares about the color. If color mattered, British racing green would be the "baddest" Max out there. You guys are sick.

PS Think Daytona! Its around the corner.:punk:

Latest posts

Back