California Bike - what to remove that deletes 5hp?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoNat

Reaction score
So my recent Vmax acquisition is a 2001 California bike. My understanding is that they're rated at 140hp instead of 145hp, like the other US editions. What is extra on the CA bike that can be removed, easily or otherwise, to de-influence the poor Max from thinking it isn't as tough as the rest of the crowd? :confused2:

So my recent Vmax acquisition is a 2001 California bike. My understanding is that they're rated at 140hp instead of 145hp, like the other US editions. What is extra on the CA bike that can be removed, easily or otherwise, to de-influence the poor Max from thinking it isn't as tough as the rest of the crowd? :confused2:

Emissions-Can and hoses then plug that inlet going to the carbs.

So bypass and run vent hose directly, or cap it? And that things really saps 5hp?! That sucks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The fuel mixture screws should be set about 3 turns out if you run pump gas. Don't let the EPA know you're adjusting these as they set them lean at 1.25 turns out. Richening them up will help performance.

According to Partshark(as near as I can make out) the cams are different for the CA bikes. If you look up a 2001 VMX1200N, it shows a confusing array of cam choices. If you look up a 2003, there is an outline indicating that the cams are different.

The fuel mixture screws should be set about 3 turns out if you run pump gas. Don't let the EPA know you're adjusting these as they set them lean at 1.25 turns out. Richening them up will help performance.

Actually 3 out of 4 are set different from the factory. None are as tight as 1.25 turns.

Actually 3 out of 4 are set different from the factory. None are as tight as 1.25 turns.
Agreed, mine were all different from the factory, from 1-3/4 to 2-1/4.
I left them alone when I had the stock pipes on and turned them each out 1/4 turn after putting on my Supertrapps.
I Dyno'ed it twice with the stock pipes on and once with the Supertrapps and the RWHP was ~119 all three times.

Back