Torque for Starter Clutch Bolts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultra93

Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing the "infamous" starter clutch with the heavy duty model on "fleabay". I checked my Clymer manual and cannot find the Torque for the three starter clutch to flywheel bolts.

Can anyone provide this?

I can't find either a dis-assembly or reassembly procedure for the starter clutch in the service manual. Since the factory peened the bolt threads, they may have omitted breaking it down into components, so it would just be a replacement assembly. Closest thing is the general torque guide for bolts.

Don't recall if they were 12 or 14 mm...

12 mm bolt = 40 foot pounds
14 mm bolt = 61 foot pounds

I recommend using grade 8 Allens with Red Loctite and run them in with an impact. Get a punch and stake the bolt threads in place.

Per the OEM manual, 24Nm/17 ft-lb.
See attached snip.

You can download the OEM manual for free.
There are links here on the forum. Check the "VMF Links" tab at the top of the page.

Attachments

• Starter Clutch Info.JPG
    Starter Clutch Info.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 48
I can't find either a dis-assembly or reassembly procedure for the starter clutch in the service manual. Since the factory peened the bolt threads, they may have omitted breaking it down into components, so it would just be a replacement assembly. Closest thing is the general torque guide for bolts.

Don't recall if they were 12 or 14 mm...

12 mm bolt = 40 foot pounds
14 mm bolt = 61 foot pounds

I recommend using grade 8 Allens with Red Loctite and run them in with an impact. Get a punch and stake the bolt threads in place.

Wow did I get that one wrong! And I even bought M8 high strength cap screws when I changed my SC to a Morley unit... Someone please delete both my posts in this thread.

Latest posts

Back