HOW TO: Remove/Inspect/Replace your Starter Clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to do this myself. This write-up is awesome.

Thank you all for such a resourceful forum. This is great!

I'm about to do this myself. This write-up is awesome.

Thank you all for such a resourceful forum. This is great!

make sure you take advantage of the jedi loaner puller!

if you are forced to use old gaskets or none at all, I have found that a thin bead (very thin) of yamabond #4 (we affectionately call it "yamagoo") will set up in 60 minutes and seal nicely. It can be a bit harder to get apart next time but it cleans off with a SS wire brush. The stuff is made for quick internal repairs at the motocross track (reassembling the case halves when you don't have time to scrape all the gasket material off or pinch an oring or just plain lose a gasket). Not ideal I suppose but it will safely and reliably get you out of a tough spot. Its also fantastic for getting rid of problem leaks when all else fails. I changed my oil the other day and found oil slobbering out. Discovered I pinched the oring so I put a dab of good ol' yamagoo on the two pinched spots, put her back on and 60 minutes later I'm on the road.Best stuff out there.

OK. So I'm stuck at getting the main bolt out so I can put my puller on. That thing is on there sooooo hard. Should it be this crazy tight or is knocking on the flywheel to maybe help things along ok?

OK. So I'm stuck at getting the main bolt out so I can put my puller on. That thing is on there sooooo hard. Should it be this crazy tight or is knocking on the flywheel to maybe help things along ok?

Hit it hard all at once with an impact.
The flywheel nose has a spot you can use a big open ended wrench for a back up as well.
If you ever get the bolt off, put it back loosely when using your puller.
That bolt should have a little dimple that fits the tip of most pullers. Helps prevent damaging the end of the crank.

Some pullers fit the end of the crank just fine without using that bolt.

Oh, so leave it on for pulling? My puller bolts aren't long enough. I got the bolt out...
I think I'm gonna do it the way Sean does in the video because I have a similar puller and not super long bolts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Great instructions yukonerdave and great Video Sean thanks to both of you I saved me some cash for my new back tire.. Lol oil and filter changed put new gaskets and copper gasket on ready for my new tire that will be in Monday... Getting her ready for the wifey and I to go to Lake Tahoe for the weekend... Lovin my MADMAX!!!!!!

Which two are the long bolts on the stator cover? All mine fell out of my cardboard when I picked it up to go put the cover back on.

All stator cover bolts are the same length normally. The clutch cover has two longer bolts where the alignment dowels have bolts pass through them.

That's a great write up, reminds me of each time I replaced my starter clutch

1st time - sheared bolts
attachment.php

2nd time - exploding case
attachment.php

if you are forced to use old gaskets or none at all, I have found that a thin bead (very thin) of yamabond #4 (we affectionately call it "yamagoo") will set up in 60 minutes and seal nicely. It can be a bit harder to get apart next time but it cleans off with a SS wire brush. The stuff is made for quick internal repairs at the motocross track (reassembling the case halves when you don't have time to scrape all the gasket material off or pinch an oring or just plain lose a gasket). Not ideal I suppose but it will safely and reliably get you out of a tough spot. Its also fantastic for getting rid of problem leaks when all else fails. I changed my oil the other day and found oil slobbering out. Discovered I pinched the oring so I put a dab of good ol' yamagoo on the two pinched spots, put her back on and 60 minutes later I'm on the road.Best stuff out there.

I have been told not to use steel/metal on alum to remove gaskets (no scrapers either)...it will scratch casuing possible leaking problems. Plastic razor blades are recommended.

I have been told not to use steel/metal on alum to remove gaskets (no scrapers either)...it will scratch casuing possible leaking problems. Plastic razor blades are recommended.

Provided the scraper is flat, has a reasonable edge and you keep the blade at a shallow angle then you won't have any problems as, with care, it won't dig in.
I always use a scraper (a.k.a an old bluntish chisel) and have never had any issues.

I just hope I didn't nick this thing or the OP didn't warp the cover. Does the rubber surrounding the wires from the stator ('86) ever swell up? One on the '86 mine didn't look as flush as the one in my '01.

I use a regular razor scraper on aluminum surfaces, never a problem. I then clean it up with a scotch brite pad. The wire grommet, I try not to disturb it if I don't have to, and put a little Yamabond 4 on it to make sure it's leak free.
Steve-o

Hi Dave, used your starter clutch removal thread...it worked great! Just wanted to say thanks. Rick

Latest posts

Back