H e l p w a n t e d

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retcarahc

Reaction score
I first want to say THANK YOU for allowing me to join this forum! =) I am not really sure how all this works, not much of a computer guy, other than basic e-mail and weather. HaHa I also am not too experienced with bikes either, but willing to learn, as I do know I love to ride! This November will be one year licensed, but coming from Iowa, not full year of seat time! =\

I have been attempting to read online and find help for nearly 2wks, as I just bout an '85 VMax early Sept. (My second bike, as I quickly felt I outgrew my '02 Savage and wanted something that could really move me...found it! =D)

On 05, Oct. 2016 I got off work early that morning and when attempting to leave, the bike would not start!?! I eventually push started it just to get it home and keep from walking. I had thought it may of just been being temperamental from the heavy rainfall we experienced over night, but it still would not start next day, or even up to today! =(
Instead, it makes an awful noise, and sounds as if something is spinning freely without an attempt to even turn over! I stopped after a couple failed attempts and made a video (will not let me upload) to keep from creating any further damage (IF possible) and have something to show nearby shops. Unfortunately, many will not work on it, and reference a place nearly 3hrs from home...I have no way to haul. =\

Based on the research and reading I have done, I believe it to be the starter clutch!? IF that is the case, I am curious where is the best place to buy, and what all else do I need, or should consider fixing while in there!? I know many have said bolts as well. Unfortunately, even auto stores near me said they are unable to order!?!
When I had bought the bike I was given a receipt of nearly $2000 worth of work just a week before, including: ALL new seals and gaskets, battery, starter, carbs cleaned and jetted with new needles, shocks, tires, water pump, and some small things. It ran absolutely amazing, even on the 40min ride home from meeting the previous owner.

Sorry for the short story. PLEASE HELP!!! My name is Jacob. Feel free to text (319) 470-3271 with any thoughts and/or opinions. THANK YOU! =)

Sounds like you're describing a bad starter clutch. There is a lot of information here on repair procedures. I personally have never replaced one, but I'm sure you will get a number of replies on diagnosis and repair.

Welcome to the forum!

I would try Morleys Muscle for parts, he's done right by me on many occasions. I hope you get it setup again soon, maybe you can squeeze the last weeks out of the season. Im in SD so I'm savoring the final riding days as well.

Welcome!

THANK YOU all for the replies. Unsure how to setup notifications so that I am aware when someone makes a comment!?
Unfortunately, I do have two hairline cracks on the starter clutch outer assembly, and am curious IF this: "ebay.com/itm/231611523125" is an adequate replacement, or IF someone else could provide me with a link to order one!?
Really hoping to get back together and going before snowfall for that final ride! *FingersCrossed

Latest posts

Back