Need Help With A Fuel Issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Stanley

Reaction score
Hi,

I am working on my first VMax. I received it in a trade running on two cylinders. The guy I got it from thought the previous owner messed up the valve clearances. Long story short, all valves were within speck.

I purchased a new battery thinking it was the battery because the bike cranked slowly. Tried to start the bike and it kicked over with starting fluid but the bike is getting no fuel. Carbs are dry. When I turned on the key, the fuel pump does nothing. I checked the wiring and signal is going to the pump. I thought it was a bad pump so I bought another pump off eBay because all my local motorcycle shops didn't carry anything for a 97 V-Max. Got the new pump, nothing. The sucker is brand new. Any suggestions on what I should try next?

Thanks from Texas

Josh Stanley

Check/test your fuel pump relay under the left scoop.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

If it's clicking when you are first turning the key on. It should time out if it's never filling the float bowels (I believe). if it's clicking and not getting fuel but the tank is full, it's a kinked line or bad filter or stuck needle and seats. if the wiring checked out good I can't think of much else. Depending, carb rebuild. Dannymax or one2dmax may be able to add more.

Give us all the details you can.

Maleko89 posted while I was writing, might be right too, forgot about that.

Hi,

I am working on my first VMax. I received it in a trade running on two cylinders. The guy I got it from thought the previous owner messed up the valve clearances. Long story short, all valves were within speck.

I purchased a new battery thinking it was the battery because the bike cranked slowly. Tried to start the bike and it kicked over with starting fluid but the bike is getting no fuel. Carbs are dry. When I turned on the key, the fuel pump does nothing. I checked the wiring and signal is going to the pump. I thought it was a bad pump so I bought another pump off eBay because all my local motorcycle shops didn't carry anything for a 97 V-Max. Got the new pump, nothing. The sucker is brand new. Any suggestions on what I should try next?

Thanks from Texas

Josh Stanley

Where exactly did you get the pump? Rosemead CA ?
Where you plug the pump in ( the black 2 prong connector) put a multimeter on it and see if it has a reading.

i checked the fuses first and they all looked fine. I checked the relay because it was unplugged at some point but couldn't see any issues with it. I unplugged the pump and checked the wiring with an amp meeter and it seems to be sending power to the pump when you turn the key on. Any ideas? Think its the pump? how does the pump know when to shut off after its has filled the bowels? Is there another relay on the carbs that does this or is it done by pressure?

Thanks for all the help

I usually find that a brief episode of flatus does well to provide relief once my bowels fill with gas. :rofl_200:

The fuel pump powers-down automatically once the pressure fills the carb bowls. It kicks-on as-necessary to keep them filled. No "carb relay."

i checked the fuses first and they all looked fine. I checked the relay because it was unplugged at some point but couldn't see any issues with it. I unplugged the pump and checked the wiring with an amp meeter and it seems to be sending power to the pump when you turn the key on. Any ideas? Think its the pump? how does the pump know when to shut off after its has filled the bowels? Is there another relay on the carbs that does this or is it done by pressure?

Thanks for all the help

^ Just couldn't help himself-The seafood was good too.
If you are plugging that pump in and it is not clacking it sounds like it is dead.

Thanks for all the help

If you got it out of rosemead ca I bought one off of Ebay and plugged it in and it did not work either. It had a lifetime warranty and they gave me a new one. They told me not to bother to send the other back and I rebuilt it--Yours if you want it.

I just has a similar problem I fixed last night. I checked my fuses as mentioned above but then was told that corrosion on the blades of the fuses had still caused the pump to not get power so I cleaned the spades with a very fine file I had, I'm sure emory cloth or something fine will work and put them back in. I also had heard the reserve switch can be the culprit. So I took apart the house over the throttle cable that houses the reserve switch contacts and cleaned liberally with electrical connector cleaner. I assembled everything and put it back together and she started right up. The fuel pump does its clicking as normal. I had also purchased a new pump from ebay and a new relay. but they didn't work until I did the fuses and reserve switch clean up.

Thank you all for the great information and help. I ordered another pump and should have it soon. I will check the ground as well. Does anyone have a source for the relay other than Yamaha? It seems ridiculous to pay over $80 bucks for a relay. Any ideas?

Thanks again! You guys have been a great help!

Josh

You could probably take a look at the wiring diagram & figure out how to separate the leads from the stock plug & connect them to a Bosch-standard relay.

I like a Dremel tool w/a wire brush for cleaning contacts, also 120 grit wet or dry sandpaper & an old points file may also fit. If you got your hands greasy in the 1960's or before you know what a "points file" is.

Latest posts

Back