Vmax 1200 - Engine temperature

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nswizard

Reaction score
Hi guys,

few days ago my vmax '97 started to heat up more quickly and during the ride temp arrow went between 1/2 and red zone. It was around 12deg C (50F) outside and I could feel the heat from the engine.
Before, it was around 1/3 position when I am on open road (even if it is 35deg C outside) (Only when I hit some heavy traffic it goes close to red, fan starts to spin and engine cools down to 1/2.)

Today I did some testing with IR thermometer and got some facts:
1. It was 20 degrees outside
2. It took 15 minutes in idle to heat up from 18 to 98 deg C (208F) (measured near the spark plug)
3. On bottom side of radiator it was 95deg C (203F)
4. On top side of radiator and on metal housing under the right side cover it was 70deg C (158F)
5. Engine temperature reached 105deg C (221F) (again measured near the spark plug) and fan still did not start.
6. Engine temperature reached 110deg (230F) when I turned off engine before it melts down.

7.I am 100% sure that for same temp gauge position engine was much cooler before.
8. It started to happen out of nowhere. One day all is ok, next one it is not.
9. No cold spots on radiator.

10. Coolant level is normal.
11. There are no signs of mixing oil and water.

I would say that thermostat works ok since temperature on bottom side of radiator is almost the same as engine temp.
Not sure if temperature difference on radiator is because it dissipates heat or because it is dirty and coolant does not flow.

Also, like 1 week ago I had to clean carbs because one cylinder was not working well. All carbs are synced now and all spark plugs have nice gray color. Temperature on cylinder that had issues (left rear) is 5-10 degrees lower then on other 3. After sync I had few rides and all was ok, no problems with temperature.

Would appreciate your thoughts before I start buying parts.

Vlada

Re: Vmax 1200 - Engine teperature

Have you checked for coolant flow? Might be a water pump issue. Might try running it without the thermostat just to see effects. Thermostat could be maybe only partialy opening?

When your hand held thermo said 230 what did the temp guage show. Engine may not have been hot as you think. A normal cylinder head temp is usaually 300-400 degrees measured from a thermocouple ring under the spark plug, so if you were aiming close to the plugs 230 might not be high.

Hi Wayne,

will I be able to assemble coolant system without thermostat?

How to check coolant flow?

When it was 230 on device temperature arrow was close to red.

Vlada

My Vmax has ALWAYS run high on the temp gauge. Don't know if it running too hot or not because is the red zone on the temp gauge 260 or 220 degrees? IDK but I have not worried about it for 1000's of miles with no issues.

I think Yamaha messed up on the temp gauge and has caused a lot of people to worry. Thought about installing an actually temp gauge, but seem like a lot of trouble for something that has not cause me any issues.

Ride more, worry less IF it isn't in the red.

Latest posts

Back