Rear Wheel Bearing Greasing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
I received my nice new Shinko 230 (170) tire and am planning to try and mount it myself. I found the thread concerning rear tire removal and don't think I'll have any issues getting the wheel off. What I was wondering about was greasing the bearings. My MAX has 19K miles and I've owned if for the last 2K so I have no idea what the PO might have done. I've checked my shop manual and it looks challenging and I may need to buy some additional tools. Can anybody give me some advice on if the think it needs to be done and if so any hints or words of wisdom would be appreciated. I've tries searching the forum but could not find any info. Thanks in advance.

Doug

Just read in my Clymer manual to not remove bearing unless issues, just apply grease to axle and bearing.

I received my nice new Shinko 230 (170) tire and am planning to try and mount it myself. I found the thread concerning rear tire removal and don't think I'll have any issues getting the wheel off. What I was wondering about was greasing the bearings. My MAX has 19K miles and I've owned if for the last 2K so I have no idea what the PO might have done. I've checked my shop manual and it looks challenging and I may need to buy some additional tools. Can anybody give me some advice on if the think it needs to be done and if so any hints or words of wisdom would be appreciated. I've tries searching the forum but could not find any info. Thanks in advance.

Doug

With only 19K, your bearings should be trouble-free for years!
Check out Bill Seward's maintenance log, on his '85, now with over 130k on the clock!http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=38831
Cheers!

There was a problem with some of the front wheel bearings on a few '85s. Every bike was supposed to have new bearings installed, but my bike wasn't one of the affected ones, so my dealer just gave me the bearings. They stayed wrapped up till about 2008 when I remembered I had them, and figured it wouldn't hurt to install them. Even got the seals free.. The old bearings were in fine condition.

Back