Tire help !

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinks

Reaction score
Shit...I looked at my tires today and they have HUGE cracks in them !! The tread is 100% ,but they have split badly.
Front-Dunlop Qualifier 110/90 18
rear-Avon venom-x 150/90b15 74v
The bike handled fantastic at high speeds and don't wanna jinks it by putting something on that wobbles.
I haven't got a ton of money, so whats my cheapest safest way to go ??

they have a set of dunlops in town. front -Dunlop F-20 110/90-18 & rear Dunlop K525 qualifier 150/ 90

Shinko tourmaster 230's.

They are cheaper VERY sticky tires. Ive run them, and never had an issue....there is only ONE person that I know of that has ever gotten a bad one.

I had the Dunlop qualifiers both front and rear and will not use them again. The rear end always feels unsettled in turns. The front is very reactive to any road cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks guys !!! your fantastic. shinko's it is then.
your right, the front Dunlop was reactive to road cracks.

The new tires will be in Friday.....$103 front.....$130 rear. Free install. That's a lot cheaper than the dunlops.
Are these radial or biasPly ?? forgot to ask.

wow, a lot cheaper in the U.S Right now our dollar is sitting at 74cents American.

You can't go wrong with Shinkos... Got them on my Max, my Road Star, and on my wife's Suzuki Burgman scooter (before she sold it..).

Save up, get a modded rear wheel in 17" or 18" (you can fit a narrow radial on the front wheel, not optimal, but it can be done), or spring for a set of Sean Morley's Carrozzerias, and next tire swap, go to radials, in many people's minds, the best handling improvement you can make to a Gen I for handling. I'd do this before buying a jet kit and new complete aftermarket exhaust, and the cost wouldn't be too far-apart, maybe less, if you had to pay for labor for the jet kit/exhaust removal/installation.

A good set of tires bias or radial always gives you renewed confidence in your bike's handling. A great feeling.

Maybe Eric is talking about my Shinko. Since 1985, I had run nothing but the stock raised white lettered Dunlops (I think they look the best), until a little over a year ago. That's when I "cheaped out" and bought my first Shinko for the back of my '85. Perhaps I stretched a cord on it whilst mounting it, I don't know. What I do know is that it was by far the worst, most wobbly gobledy sumbeotch tire I had ever experienced on my Vmax. It got that way in under 400 miles after I mounted it. Whenever I put the bike on it's center stand and run it up to around 2K rpms, it shook the bike, side to side, so hard, I thought it would knock the bike over. The most run-out I've ever seen. Obviously a bad cord, or three in that tire.

I've had Shinkos on my 09, and they've worked out AOK. But that one I tried on my '85 really sucked. I headed back to an OEM RWL Dunlop for that bike.

Its promising to hear all the positive reviews on the shinko tires. I never knew they existed till you guys told me about them. I will post an update once they are on.
Its gonna be a chilly ride,..the temp is dropping pretty good. There was frost on the windows on the truck this morning.

Shinko tourmaster 230's.

They are cheaper VERY sticky tires. Ive run them, and never had an issue....there is only ONE person that I know of that has ever gotten a bad one.

Yes,sticky.But that bad thing about sticky is that they don't tend to last long.I like my Metzler 880's.They seem to be a good balance between sticking and long wear.I don't race it though but I do like to play from time to time with other bikes.I can get between 7-8,000 out of a rear Metzler.

I used to order all the time from Dennis Kirk, but my local independent shop matches them on price, and free mounting off the bike.

I've been running Bridgestones, but I have a radial setup, highly recommended.

Shinkos are great. just do a decent burnout .And there good to go.
mine keep getting better with age.

Back