best tire and size for stock rims

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottp1601

Reaction score
I was wondering what people thought was the best tires to put on stock rims for the best handling and also what sizes for front and rear? Can you get a different size for the rear that might work better?:ummm:

I was using Metzeller ME880 for several years
170/80-15 and 110/90/18 and 120/90/18

this wider rear tire make the Max woble in curves (many Maxers says so)
When you like fat ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year, i`ve tried
Avon Venom
170/80-15 and 100/90-18 (there is no 110 and the 120 will melt your fender)

great, no more woble

This is my experience on my Max,maybe some other Maxers will have different opinion

Ciaow

I was using Metzeller ME880 for several years
170/80-15 and 110/90/18 and 120/90/18

this wider rear tire make the Max woble in curves (many Maxers says so)
When you like fat ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year, i`ve tried
Avon Venom
170/80-15 and 100/90-18 (there is no 110 and the 120 will melt your fender)

great, no more woble

This is my experience on my Max,maybe some other Maxers will have different opinion

Ciaow

+1 on the Avons
One more plus is they are insensitive to lengthwise disturbances (like changing lanes with a small level difference) because they have no central groove

+1 on the Avons
One more plus is they are insensitive to lengthwise disturbances (like changing lanes with a small level difference) because they have no central groove

I've used Metzlers (150/80/15, 110/90/18), since the stock tires had to be replaced. No centre groove as above, great handling tires. And very long-lasting - over 30,000 kilometers on both, at highway speeds (and no burnouts!)
Cheers!

you're in stoughton? i'm in franklin. i have a tire changer too.

Always had good luck with Metzlers....ME33 Lasertec front, ME880 Marathon rear. The smaller the front tire the less rotating mass, and possibly the lesser chance of a wobble.

Wish you were closer Garrett, you could save my back from further destruction come tire replacement time! :biglaugh:

Last edited:
Always had good luck with Metzlers....ME33 Lasertec front, ME880 Marathon rear. The smaller the front tire the less rotating mass, and possibly the lesser chance of a wobble.

Wish you were closer Garrett, you could save my back from further destruction come tire replacement time! :biglaugh:

what'd ya talking about? i'm right down the road from your weekly Ted's Bison Burger fix!

Has anyone Tried this Rear Tire ?
Michelin Commander II 170/80-15 (Bias Ply)
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co.../Michelin-Commander-II-Cruiser-Rear-Tire.aspx
or This Front Tire ?
Michelin Pilot Activ (Bias Ply)
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6157/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Activ-Front-Tire.aspx

I'm Currently running the Shinko 230 TourMaster Rear and Metzeler Lasertec Front.

i haven't but i bet some people have. i think they're a well known tire. hell anythings better than the OEM! heh.

that combo you have currently i bet works pretty well tho

that combo you have currently i bet works pretty well tho
You're right, the Shinko Rear/Lasertec Front combo does work well.
I just like know that I have Options.
And I do like the look of that Michelin Commander II.
And I ran a Michelin Macadam 50 Front for years and was happy with it but the discontinued it and the Pilot Activ is it's replacement.

I was wondering what people thought was the best tires to put on stock rims for the best handling and also what sizes for front and rear? Can you get a different size for the rear that might work better?:ummm:
I like the 170 15 in the back for stock wheels Scott. I ran Shinko's for years. With Shinko's you'll want to be near a tire machine. They have a short life. Metzler radials are going to be mounted this year.
I'm also in Ma, about 75 from Garrett. Not far on a Vmax. Mark is only about 25 miles from Garrett. Nothing like riding with other Vmax's.
Steve

Whats a good tire for someone on a tight budget?.

I've pushed the Shinco bias ply because of the price and the grip. But you do get what you pay for usually. Short life, lots of weight to balance, and my last rear developed extrme run- out. A one season tire at best, if you ride a lot. On a budget it's a good option.
I just ordered my front z6 Metzler to match the rear I got for Christmas. 110/80/18,it's going on a nice 85 wheel. I'm hoping I clear the swing arm with the 180 rear. If not, it'll have to get notched and braced sooner than I had planned.
Steve-o

You might as well put a piece of soap on your wheels. Dunlop = complete shite. Mine came with them and I couldn't wait to get rid of them. After my first rear Shinko got worn out, I replaced with a D404 (it was free..) and promptly lost the rear end n the first ride I took. I've got a scar on my right hand to show for it..

Steer clear of the Dunlops.

+1 NG. The dunlops are like riding on ice compared to the Shinko's. There are a couple of rotarys on the way to my house. I almost lost it the fisrt time around on fairly new Dunlop Qualifiers. The rear wheel broke loose with just a touch of throttle. This never happened with different tires.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back