My VMax: 1992 - "Redbone"
My other bikes: 2003 FZ-1 - "Lightning"
Awards Showcase
Mod Monkey Award of Posting Excellence (APE) Nice guy award 
Total Awards: 3
Default Re: Transporting dirt bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones955 View Post
I thought they were owned by BMW but I reread and I see now how that went.

I really have no problems with KTM, BMW or Husky. As far as I can see they are all very well made bikes but I like to do model reviews on anything I consider before I even throw a leg over.

The parts question is pretty valid, I'm going to search around and see whats available.
KTM also bought Husaberg back in 2012-13 timeframe and they d/c'd the 570 70* motor from all reports was the bomb off road motor. 570cc, 6 speed trans, large enough oil capacity for longer time between oil changes then add a cush drive and you have a great 90/10 dual sport bike. I really like what Yamaha is going to offer as the 700cc Tenere in 2019.
VMOA #4942

Re: Transporting dirt bikes
Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 AM

My VMax: 99 Blue
My other bikes: 89 Venture Royale

A 90/10 would be ideal. I just looked up that Husaberg, it would be PERFECT in spite of a few lbs over a 250.

I got two calls yesterday with offers of a YZ, even if I add lights and a plate (easy here in South Dakota) it's not a machine I would want to ride on the street for more than connecting adjacent trails, even with a cush hub. I'm probably going to move on that TE unless something else compelling comes in.
96 Lexus LS400
88 Suzuki Samurai crawler (for sale/trade)

Old 01-18-2018, 05:22 PM

My VMax: none
My other bikes: '16 Scout, '16 Beta 300
Awards Showcase
Hello there, Officer..! Award of Posting Excellence (APE) 
Total Awards: 2

Bought a nice 3-rail trailer off craigslist for $600. It's sturdy, the front rail is staggered forward (so handlebars won't interfere), and I would have no reservations about loading 3 full dress Harleys on it. Made by Magnum Trailers out of Texas, but I've seen very similar designs from all sorts of manufacturers.

My 4 cylinder Focus tows it just fine, even with 3 dual-sports and 2 pitbikes onboard. I mean the mileage goes down and it's clearly working harder, but still maintains highway speed easily and stops fine. I'd guess the trailer itself weighs 350ish lbs. My buddy's LS430 lexus (v8) tows it with pretty much zero effort.

The little hitch-hauler bike carriers are OK, but to me always seemed dangerously flimsy when used on a class I hitch (the small square you find on most cars). Going down the road they really rock and flex a lot. On the class 3 on trucks they're OK, but as mentioned they have about a 300lb weight limit. Fine for enduros (as long as it's not a piggy Honda), but can't really use used for anything else.

VMF Roadside Assistance
P- Bike Pickup (truck w/ramp)
T- Tools
W- Workspace
G- Local Guide
R- Ride Partner

Old 01-18-2018, 06:13 PM

My VMax: 93 purple
My other bikes: 02 EXC 400, SXF 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaWarrior View Post
Bought a nice 3-rail trailer off craigslist for $600. It's sturdy, the front rail is staggered forward (so handlebars won't interfere), and I would have no reservations about loading 3 full dress Harleys on it. Made by Magnum Trailers out of Texas, but I've seen very similar designs from all sorts of manufacturers.

My 4 cylinder Focus tows it just fine, even with 3 dual-sports and 2 pitbikes onboard. I mean the mileage goes down and it's clearly working harder, but still maintains highway speed easily and stops fine. I'd guess the trailer itself weighs 350ish lbs. My buddy's LS430 lexus (v8) tows it with pretty much zero effort.

The little hitch-hauler bike carriers are OK, but to me always seemed dangerously flimsy when used on a class I hitch (the small square you find on most cars). Going down the road they really rock and flex a lot. On the class 3 on trucks they're OK, but as mentioned they have about a 300lb weight limit. Fine for enduros (as long as it's not a piggy Honda), but can't really use used for anything else.
These are great too.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:30 PM

My VMax: 99 Blue
My other bikes: 89 Venture Royale

I just saw one of those 3 rail trailers, I was tempted. Your buddys LS430 is one of the finest sedans ever produced. I have absolutely no concerns about using my LS400 to pull a trailer and a few heavy bikes in spite of it's advanced age and high mileage. The LS is an unbelievably rock solid car.

It looks like the new addition will be a 2011 YZ250. I suppose if I go much more than that a trailer will be the sound choice. I'm a pretty solo guy so there is a good chance that a single 250 2-smoke would be about it for the foreseeable future.

Definitely more food for thought.
96 Lexus LS400
88 Suzuki Samurai crawler (for sale/trade)