No spark and no headlight.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effingidiot

Reaction score
U.K. A soldier of life,just soldiering throu.
I was trying to get my vmax running today,but there is no spark.When i turned the ignition off i forgot to turn the engine stop switch off first,well i got an almighty back fire.I thought i'd try it again,turned it over and no spark,when i turned the ignition switch off without turning the engine switch off it backfired again.My headlight and main beam doesen't work it's not a fuse or bulb,all the other lights work.I just wondered if the headlight issue is related to no spark,i know the headlight should be on,and go off when you press the start button.

Sometimes the switch will stick in....just a bit, so the headlight will be off. Pull out on it slightly, and see if it will come on.

I'm wondering if your key switch is intermittent, or causing high resistance issues? Unplug it and use a couple of short wires to jump the switch out to see if the bike fires up.
Steve

No wonder i can't get my bike to run,it's got the wrong brain/cdi unit on it.I took it out to check it over,i only noticed when i tried to put it back on.I could not get the connectors back into the unit,i don't know how to explain it to you.My vmax is s 94 i think,it was bought as a project.The unit is a TID14-93 3JP,now the connectors only go in upside down.The little prong that clips them in and the grove that it slides into are on opposite sides,so it must be the wrong unit.Does anyone know the number of the CDI i need.

The 1994 CDI from the parts fiche is a 3JP-82305-13-00.
The 1989 CDI from the parts fiche is a 1FK-82305-09-00.

Sean, Kyle, Eric, Danny, Steve... maybe a few others can probably give you a better answer.

No wonder i can't get my bike to run,it's got the wrong brain/cdi unit on it.I took it out to check it over,i only noticed when i tried to put it back on.I could not get the connectors back into the unit,i don't know how to explain it to you.My vmax is s 94 i think,it was bought as a project.The unit is a TID14-93 3JP,now the connectors only go in upside down.The little prong that clips them in and the grove that it slides into are on opposite sides,so it must be the wrong unit.Does anyone know the number of the CDI i need.
Does anybody know what this unit is off TID14-93 3JP.

85-89 are interchangeable and gold labels
90-07 are interchangeable and silver labels

The OEM doesn't lock together and will only go on one way. it is possible to get the wrong one if you mix up those labels. If you have the silver label then you also need the single pickup type harness. See pic. If you have that and the pickup is testing good on it's ohms then you may have something else wrong.

To test the pickup coil unplug it and measure the resistance going down and to the left.

Sean

Attachments

• Picjk-Up-Coil-Connector-Tested-103-Ohms-Cropped-Labeled.jpg
    Picjk-Up-Coil-Connector-Tested-103-Ohms-Cropped-Labeled.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 17
All connectors are clean,switches are good,side stand relay good,clutch switch ok.ign switch good,pick up coil good,stator reads 0.8.I only get a spark when i turn the key switch off,if i turn the key switch on and turn it off again i get a spark at the plug.

Had something similar to that in the past. Turned out to be a bad battery on that one.

Latest posts

Back