Tail light removal.. help a rookie :-)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamsie

Reaction score
Hello ppl.
Vmaxer from Denmark here. (so i hope you understand the text)

Im about to change my stock rear light to a Led light, and i ran into a problem.
I cant remove the tail light since the wires are so damm short.
So i have a few questions.

1)
Do i need to remove the inner metal fender in order to remove the old light ?,
or should i just cut the wires right at the taillight. Or maybe under passenger seat ?.

2) Can the plastic cover behind the stock light be removed without braking it. ? And is it needed to remove inner fender and the ”real” fender ?

I know this might be a stupid question, but i dont want to cut/brake to much, since i like to be able to build it back to stock if needed.

Best regards from Denmark

Martin.

Hello ppl.
Vmaxer from Denmark here. (so i hope you understand the text)

Im about to change my stock rear light to a Led light, and i ran into a problem.
I cant remove the tail light since the wires are so damm short.
So i have a few questions.

1)
Do i need to remove the inner metal fender in order to remove the old light ?,
or should i just cut the wires right at the taillight. Or maybe under passenger seat ?.

2) Can the plastic cover behind the stock light be removed without braking it. ? And is it needed to remove inner fender and the ”real” fender ?

I know this might be a stupid question, but i dont want to cut/brake to much, since i like to be able to build it back to stock if needed.

Best regards from Denmark

Martin.

1) Remove the fender and unplug the wires....don't cut them, you will then see how the light bolts on

2) Yes, 2 phillips screws hold the lens on

thx.
But i think you misunderstood me.

I know how the light bolts on, allready did that. but wires are to short to get the light away from the bracket, and the wires are to "tight" to pull out trough the inner fender. (thats why i asked if i should cut them. or take the fender off.)

And ofc. i know how to remove the lens haha. it was the black plastic cover that kinda comletes the stock look around the taillight i ment.

my english i off abit lol.

There are metal tabs on the inner metal fender that hold the wires down....you need to take the fiberglass fender off to get to them

There are 2 bolts holding the taillight assembly on....loosen them and the black plastic surround comes off with the light

Both inner & outer fenders need to be loosened to accomplish what you want to do....

Like Danny said,

If i remember right - 2 bolts at the side of the back rail and 1 small bolt under the back seat.

I just changed out all my pigtails on my 07 Max signal lamps. Its easy peasy. You take off the passenger seat that's held on by philips screws on either side. Once You have the passenger seat off release any tabs fold over or locking plastic fasteners so Your tailight wires are free to move. You then take the nut off thats holding your signal lamp to your fender. Done. If You want to remove the pigtail from the assembly You must take the rubber stay off first by removing the one bolt that's clamping it down on the rubber. You must take the bolt all the way out as the bolt helps to lock the rubber stay in place. Once You do that then You can change the pigtail if You want. I had to because Yamaha does not offer a led replacement for your incandescent bulb plust the fact that Yamaha has protected themselves by putting in bulbs 1156 an 57's with the pins on the base of the bulbs on a 45degree. I swapped my pigtails out with an older Yamaha pigtail that has the traditional 1156 and 57 bulbs with the base pins at opposite ends. Now I can go anywhere and buy led bulbs for it....which I did.

I hope this has been helpful

Back