VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you look at the back fine print, you'll see a listing of approvals. If you see JASO MA or similar, this is an indication it is approved for use in wet clutch (motorcycle) applications. If you see "Energy Conserving" anywhere on the oil STAY AWAY as it will ruin your clutch.

What he said^^^!

hi everyone, new to forum: bought a vmax recently previous owner used Motul 8100 10W40. silly questions, did they discontinue this line of oil? can't seem to find in shops/online. Would Motul 7100 4T 10W-40 do the trick?

I've done oil reading to death many times now, for many toys. The simple answer: I run Rotella T-6 in all my toys now.

I have a question for anyone who is willing to answer in this massive thread. I hardly ever see anyone saying that they use yamalube fully synthetic in their gen 2 max. Is there anything wrong with it? Why don’t more people use it? Am I wrong to think that their oil for their bike is not a good idea? Does it cause clutch slip? Just confused on why it doesn’t come up more on here.
Advice would be appreciated, bout to do my spring change here in Indiana and I like that my oil purchases are logged in the Yamaha dealers system for warranty purposes.

Last edited:
I have a question for anyone who is willing to answer in this massive thread. I hardly ever see anyone saying that they use yamalube fully synthetic in their gen 2 max. Is there anything wrong with it? Why don’t more people use it? Am I wrong to think that their oil for their bike is not a good idea? Does it cause clutch slip? Just confused on why it doesn’t come up more on here.
Advice would be appreciated, bout to do my spring change here in Indiana and I like that my oil purchases are logged in the Yamaha dealers system for warranty purposes.

Cost I'd say is the biggest thing, and having to go get it, or take the bike in. If like me, everybody is picky on who they let touch their Vmax, and majority of us are DIYers....I use Valvoline motorcycle oil 15w40.... I could use mobile T4 if I wanted.... I ran T3 in my first gen.

Last I knew it was made be Citco Yamaha does not happen to refine there own oil it is just labeled for them. Here is an old post from another forum which I pretty much agree with after being in some time of automotive industry my whole life .

"It just drives me crazy when people get on " this oil does this and that oil does that" Kick!!!!!! Heres the real deal on YAMALUBE!!!!!!! If you guys want to STILL BE IN DENIAL,,,, PLEASE don't read this post!!!!!!!1st... Yamalube is made by CITGO (cities services oil company).. The packaging facility is on 39th and cicero in Chicago ( a few miles from my home)....2nd,,, Yamalube comes from the EXACT SAME ZILLION GALLON TANK AS DOES at least a DOXEN other brands of 2 stroke oil.... 3rd.. Yamaha does NOT have an oil refining or packaging company , 4th Yamaha buys their oil from the LOWEST BIDDER... They come up with a specification such as TC-W or JASO and the oil MANUFACTURING companies meet their specifications and submit their bids to YAMAHA.... YAMAHA in turn, contracts the LOWEST BIDDER in the demographic area that they market the oil in.... If you live anywhere near CHICAGO,,,The YAMALUBE comes from a zillion gallon VAT on 39th and cicero..... You could buy K mart or wal mart or farm and fleet 2 stroke oil and get the EXACT SAME OIL that is in the Yamalube bottle for HALF THE PRICE... Yamaha doesn't open up the caps and THROW ANY MAGIC POWDER in the gallons of oil when they come from citgo.... Sometimes they come directly from citgo and the yamaha warehouse NEVER EVEN SEE the cases!!!!! I know first hand because a friend of mine who WORKED for CITGO for 25 years used to bring me botles of TEXACO 2 stroke oil..... YES TEXACO 2 stroke oil and you know what???? He got it from CITGO where he worked!!!!!! and furthermore, citgo doesn't open up the bottles and throw the MAJUC POWDER FROM THE YAMAHA CHEMICAL PLANT to make YAMALUBE work better......

There is nothing wrong with Yamalube. It's just overpriced. It's not any better for your machine than a lower cost oil with the proper rating. Some folks don't live close to a yamaha dealer and don't want to order online so its much easier to go to the auto parts store or walmart and buy an alternative.

Gotcha, again I’m only asking because the dealer said that Yamaha has been known to deny warranty coverage if you admit to using an oil that wasn’t YAMALUBE. The best way to keep them honest is to buy YAMALUBE from the dealer <so that the purchases show up on my dealers account> for my DIY oil changes. After warranty is up I plan on using AMSOIL but because of corporate technicalities, I don’t mind paying extra for a couple years to ensure I can’t be screwed if my motor blows up <I also understand that, that is unlikely>. Just wanted to make sure it doesn’t CAUSE issues and that full synthetic is OK, I have a friend who swears that conventional is better for everything.
Thanks for the info.

"Gotcha again I’m only asking because the dealer said that Yamaha has been known to deny warranty coverage if you admit to using an oil that wasn’t YAMALUBE."

Completely false.

To be honest with you, I would avoid that dealer forever.

The manual doesn't specify Yamalube only. It specifies Yamalube 10w40, 10w50 OR any SAE 10w40, 10w50, API service SG type or higher, JASO stan-dard MA

Last edited:
In their defense, he may only have meant admitting to using an oil that wasn’t:
Yamalube 10w40, 10w50 OR any SAE 10w40, 10w50, API service SG type or higher, JASO stan-dard MA

And that would mean never buying a new Yamaha again in my area and my wife wants the MT-07. Not too many Yamaha dealers here in harley country.
Just a question over the quality of yamalube and if full synthetic is good for the max. I have heard the stories of the final drive oil being a certain kind that they use on the R1 or something and just don’t want to do anything mean to the only bike I’ve had that I don’t think I’ll ever sell short of a life altering scenario that requires $$$$ or causes me not to physically be able to ride. Thanks for the info tho, headed to the Yammie dealer this weekend!

I also use Valvoline Motorcycle oil, never let me down, clutch never slips. I always keep receipts for oil purchase and a log of service while under the YES warranty.

I also use Valvoline Motorcycle oil, never let me down, clutch never slips. I always keep receipts for oil purchase and a log of service while under the YES warranty.

Same here. I keep the receipt, and record the date and mileage in the book when I did it. I even got the tire changes recorded with the receipt from the dealer. And I kept all the instruction paperwork that came with the boulevard windscreen, and the passenger back rest and rack lol. Got all my stock parts I took off as well.

That Citgo story reminds me of a friend one time his wife wanted him to pick up some Fruit Loops at Walmart. He came home with a bag of Fruit Circles, Walmart brand. She said "I told you to get Fruit Loops!" He said, "Do you think Walmart has a Fruit Loop factory? They don't, these are the same thing!" That goes for a lot of things..

I think the main reason people don't use Yamaha synthetic is money. Yamaha specific brands tend to be more expensive. I stuck with Yamaha oil until the double dd clutch mod. The mobile 4t racing synthetic oil was suggested by Tim and I believed it to be tried and tested. Not needing to trial and error oil in my bike, I stuck to that and it has been performed perfectly. My own personal reason...

I don't necessarily believe synthetic may be the best thing for a clutch, though I do believe it is the best thing for a trans and an engine. I went and bought the 15-40 shell non synthetic for my 2000 v-max today. I recently bought this bike and the PO said I don't know what kind of oil is in it. So I'm putting in what I think is right for me. I got spoiled with Brad Penn (the old kendall green oil) because we ran a front engined A/Fuel dragster with a Hemi. But I don't think what is right for the engine is right for the driveline. I'm 66 years old and I sure won't be punishing the clutch like you younger guys. But I don't want to glaze the clutch. I rode it today and I am amazed at the power this thing has. And I have ridden flat track on an XR-750 Harley so I do know what power is. I hope I made the right decision as far as oil goes for this thing. I'm sneaking up on this thing but so far it is an animal and I love it.20399.jpg

Latest posts

Back