What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just switched from 10w40 castrol tor .5qt of lucas oil stabilizer and rotella 15w40 diesel oil. The engine is much quieter. No more clunky shifts, and no more clutch slip (had a tiny bit of slip when pulling a hill in vboost with castrol). Bike is happy, I am happy.

I put a cat eye LED taillight on a few years ago, and it was a piece of crap. There was almost no difference in intensity between the tail and brake functions. I tried to add a resistor inline to the tail light wire to dim it a bit, but it didn't work too well, so I scrapped the LED board and put an 1157 socket in there with a good 1157 LED bulb. The one that has 120 small emitters on it. Nice and bright, and there's a real big difference in the intensity of the light when you hit the brakes.

Yesterday, I was looking in my light bulb box, and found some T-10 LED bulbs. Pretty bright ones. I took two of them, and soldered up a little harness to attach to the brake circuit, and fitted them about an inch or so from the 1157 light, one on each side. Now when you hit the brakes, the whole cat eye lens lights up brightly. Looks good, works great, and cost about a buck for the bulbs, a bit of solder, and a half a foot of wire.

I mounted the Morley Muscle superbike handlebars and fork braces. Great service from Sean.
Also 170 Metzeler 888 back and matching front.
444 Progressive Shocks in the back and new Progressive springs in the front.
New grips.

Such a better handling. IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

Fabricated brackets to mount a set of Honda hard saddle bags to Ol Maxy for this summers road trip.
When removed, you’ll never know they were there

Attachments

• 72044149-E253-46D9-BBFD-41DFDF7E9FFB.jpg
    72044149-E253-46D9-BBFD-41DFDF7E9FFB.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 36
Reveal: not a VMax repair!

I helped a friend put a new speedometer into a 1996 H-D FLSTN which had a non-functioning speedo/odometer. OMG! the H-D shop wants almost $500 for a OEM replacement speedometer! The replacement was from Drag Specialties, and even-with the required electrical harness interface, it was not-even half the price of the factory unit. Maybe that's part of the reason H-D's market share is down, sales are down, and they are closing-up production plants.

Also, the dealerships here (Florida) won't work on Evolution-engined H-D's, "too-old!" That's the engine that saved the company from bankruptcy in the 1980's, led-to waiting lists to purchase Milwaukee road-might in the 1990's, and now is abandoned for service to the independent bar & shield repair shops. :confused2:

Attachments

• Speedo.02 off bezel.jpg
    Speedo.02 off bezel.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 22
Installed one of the $89 VROD headlights off of ebay. Its all plastic so dont know how it will fare. Also, I need to use a different bracket that brings it in a bit closer. Does put out a good amount of light that is focused.

Attachments

• headlightfront.jpg
    headlightfront.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 36
  • headlightside.jpg
    headlightside.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 35
  • headlighton.jpg
    headlighton.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 33
Also installed the R1 front fender, which is a China copy. I am using the stock front rim with a radial tire so it may be a bit too close. It doesn't rub but can imagine the bumps will cause it to rub.

Attachments

• fender.jpg
    fender.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 28
Installed one of the $89 VROD headlights off of ebay. Its all plastic so dont know how it will fare. Also, I need to use a different bracket that brings it in a bit closer. Does put out a good amount of light that is focused.

I like that. would it look clean on a bike without the windshield?

T$

Probably would be better without the windshield. But I have an aftermarket speedo. The windshield hides its ugly back plate.

I am going to do Mods to my 2014 Vmax. Delkevic exhaust that has a cat-delete. I have a K&N filter with an air box Mod. I also have a exup valve servo eliminator. My question is, What power commander should I get or are my Mods not enough to leave it to the factory settings?

Got busy with finally putting new/ newer parts on the 95 today....installed the Galfer steel braided lines I won at Thunder last year. Installed progressive front springs. New front brake master cylinder/ will complete bleeding tomorrow... also had my grandson try to help me find tools.. 3 1/2 year old makes everything take longer.... tomorrow is Sync / clean ( shotgun) carbs and get ready with ride up to DC area on one of my maxes... either the 90 or 95....

I am going to do Mods to my 2014 Vmax. Delkevic exhaust that has a cat-delete. I have a K&N filter with an air box Mod. I also have a exup valve servo eliminator. My question is, What power commander should I get or are my Mods not enough to leave it to the factory settings?

You will need your ecu reflashed alot of us had Tim Nash do it at vmaxguru.com

Was still having fuel issues so decided to change the fuel pump with a spare. Found a nice cut in the line into the pump from tank. I think the pinch fastener wore through the line. Anyway, replaced hose so hope that solves my fuel issues!

Probably would be better without the windshield. But I have an aftermarket speedo. The windshield hides its ugly back plate.

What kind of speedo do yo use? Was it easy to install? Can you post a picture of your setup?

Grz. Rinco

What kind of speedo do yo use? Was it easy to install? Can you post a picture of your setup?

Grz. Rinco

If you go parts for sale section, sticky on speedos under $120. Mine is on the second page. Easy to install, did not connect the oil pressure and fuel gauge. So only use the tach, speedo and odo. Been working for 4 years now. China made ebay.

Latest posts

Back